What is Your Definition of Camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bivvying, hillwalking, backpacking or bushcraft, it's all camping really.

bushcraft2.jpg

When I was six I had a tent in the garden and camped out all night.
Now I'm older, my garden has become the great outdoors, mainly the beautiful counties of Yorkshire and Derbyshire.
I camp when I am with my fiancée on holiday in Devon, Cornwall, France; and I camp when I am at bike rallies.
But I "ditch-pig" when I am on my own or with like minded friends, survival kit, doss-bag and a tarpaulin.
Wild camping for me is a camp made from what's there, be that timber, grasses or willow and bracken etc. On these occasions all I take is a knife a first aid kit, a bottle of water and a tinder box.
Whatever it is, it's outside in the wilderness, it's brilliant and it's soul nourishing.
I love camping (ditch-pigging/wilderness camping), whatever it's called it's alright by me and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Dirtmonster:theyareon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Camping - spending a night outdoors

Backpacking - Carrying all the gear you need on your back and spending at least a night outdoors, covering some miles on foot necessary

Bushcraft Camping - Camping, sometimes backpacking, most importantly spending a night outdoors and enjoying it. Being closer to nature if you want or just practising a few skills, just sit on your backside for a couple of days and enjoy being outdoors.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
about 4yrs ago on my 25th b-day i went out clubbing with mates and found myself waking up on a park bench that had a shelter on it,
I had everything i needed to sustain me for another nite, food (kebab),, a drink (can of beer),, shelter (park bench with roof) the only thing i was missing was fire but it was a warm night and my kebab was cooked and i didnt need to boil my beer.
so as you can see i wasnt in a survival situation, i would say i was camping out the night with a 3 hr hike home the next morning. ;)

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
As children, we'd put up a tent in the garden. That was camping!

My mum and dad had 2 weeks holiday in summer. They were spent touring Scotland in everything from a van to a Hillman Minx and Cortina. We carried Black's of Greenock patrol tents, Primus stoves, etc. It was like a Tink's Flitting... and that was camping!

In the late 70's, my mate and I bought a single-skin Goretex tent which rained inside until our sleeping bags were opened in the morning. We sold it at a small profit to a climber in The Clachaig in Glencoe after plying him with drink. I just hope he got more pleasure camping with it than we did!

In the early 80's, Vango (then Black's of Greenock) released the Force Ten Featherweight. Man, that was camping!

My daughter's first camping trip was when she was 8 months old. Due to the circumstances it was in a posh Forestry Commission campsite... but it was camping!

With only myself to blame, I once ended up trapped by a deluge in a midgie infested hell-hole on the north side of Ben More Assynt for 3 or 4 days. That was camping, as is when I go a few miles from home and set my hammock for a night or two in the woods, or when benighted on a local river, only to discover in the morning that I'd set up my basha in someones garden. I've gone on foot, by canoe, push-bike, motorbike, car and plane, and they're all camping!

I'll show my disdain so far as the term "Wild Camping" is concerned; there's the temporary mobile shelter, cooking on a stove or fire and sh!tt!ng in the woods - and there's staying under canvas in a complex of toilet/shower blocks with hair dryers, washer/dryers, games rooms, TV rooms, shops, restaurants and Rules and Regulations. Only one of these is "Camping". It's a status thing and I'm prejudice!

Silentpaddler, that picture's brilliant!

Miyagi, I've wanted one of those giant rucksacks since I saw one in a window display at Tiso's in Edinburgh in the 80's.

Cheers,

Pango.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
My mum and dad had 2 weeks holiday in summer. They were spent touring Scotland in everything from a van to a Hillman Minx and Cortina. We carried Black's of Greenock patrol tents, Primus stoves, etc. It was like a Tink's Flitting... and that was camping!

That's a classic line!

Miyagi, I've wanted one of those giant rucksacks since I saw one in a window display at Tiso's in Edinburgh in the 80's.

Please don't tell me they actually exist! I've now found my true mission in life...

Want one!

My first experience of camping aged about 7, was in my grandparents living room using a clothes horse and a sheet to make a tent.

I smile fondly when I think of my childish sense of adventure, but it was also my first experience of terrifying night noises - no not my grandparents (they were too old for that) - nay, it was the primeval sound of the mice running, pausing, running along the floor by the skirting boards. I'll openly admit it almost started me screaming for my gran.

But no, I braved it out even though it felt like a lifetime, whimpering till dawn like a real man. Had I ran screaming in a girly panic I'm sure it would have affected me all my life.

Rescue arrived in the form of my gran walking downstairs. "How'd it go son" she asked, "It was great Gran, but that lino was freezing - need to go to the loo!" I was bursting by this time, doing the "Need the loo hornpipe" and raced up those stairs.

I can tell you all now, that first outing in the wild's of my gran's linoleum made me the man I am today.

It went downhill from there, when I joined the BB's.

Liam

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hmmm I had to think long and hard about this one.. can't quite remember but I'm sure you told us all while at Glentrool... or was it Brokeback.... :lmao:

Setting up any sort or form of temporary base of operations, be it for Making Tea, Eating, Sleeping, or even just Resting is setting up a camp, ergo Camping. I like backpacking where I carry my camp in a pack, as Tam said above - on my back.

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
Some form of canvas over your head? You're camping...
The journey or distance is irrelevant (at least to my simple mind)

Listen to the man he talks sense!

From the Latin campus = field. Therefore staying in a (or the) field

Is it any clearer than that! goodjob

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
whimpering till dawn like a real man. Liam

Brilliant!

I can't remember where, but someone told me recently of going to a bothy to discover 2 blokes with a tent pitched inside the bothy using 6" nails. :lmao:
But were they "camping"?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When you leave home with the intention of staying out all night sleeping in a temporary shelter you've gone camping. If you get caught out and are forced to make a shelter you are an unprepared camper.

I used to get in trouble saying that sort of thing only a few years ago with the indignant shouts of "Me! a Camper! Tosh...I'm a Bushcrafter" As the youngsters of today would say, 'yea, right, deal with it'. We are all here Hi De Hi'yers to some degree or another :)

All camping is good, whether you are under your tarp or tent, with bushcrafting chums or with your family glamping, its all good. 'Bushcraft' camping with chums does have one advantage though, you can talk more bullocks with your mates than you can with the family.

Sep 20, 2010
Derbyshire
The term "proper camping" is a subjective and personal opinion. I have a large vango family tunnel tent with extension. It has bedrooms, a living area and a covered porch. You can stand up in it. We run a cable to the car and have electric lights. We have a table, a double gas burner, comfy air beds and we tend to take duvets rather than sleeping bags. Thats camping.

We also have a tipi with a wood stove. When we use that we take canvas camp beds, sleeping bags, a hurricane lamp. Set up a tarp outside, boil water with a kelly kettle and have a camp fire. Thats camping too.

Then sometimes i will pack a really light weight tent into my backpack, climb a mountain and pitch in the wilds. Also camping.

So which is "proper"

Personally i prefer the tipi and the equipment that goes with it. The experience and ambience is totally different to the big vango "house". The vango is still enjoyable though, and more suited to summer.

The wild camping on a mountain is a different experience and cannot be compared to the other two. Even though its still camping, the environment and skill set is a world away from the other two - it requires minimalist equipment and intentionally spending the night in remote and inhospitable terrain requires a more adventurous mindset.

Its all personal preference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE