what is your best technique for

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I got myself a very light 60+ L backpack that is rated for more than I would be likely to carry i it and it's noticeable lighter than my other smaller backpacks (50L and 30ish L), so now I use it on most of my dayhikes too. It's comfortable enough and cinches in/down to hold everything in place, although the thin straps dangling everywhere make me look like a wandering ribbon merchant.

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What is it with all the straps ???
I have one rucksack that must have twenty dangling ends and there's no way to tidy them up so they sit snuggly out of the way.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I can't stand dangley straps, I have to roll them and tape them on my Dutch saracen, on the Karrimor sabre 45 those little clips for the excess straps are amazing!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Guess I'm going against the tide here but I kinda like 'straptacular' packs. All that dangling webbing that makes it look like it has it's own ghillie suit doesn't bother me at all. Strap/webbing keepers are readily available though.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Guess I'm going against the tide here but I kinda like 'straptacular' packs. All that dangling webbing that makes it look like it has it's own ghillie suit doesn't bother me at all. Strap/webbing keepers are readily available though.
Until the wind sends one whipping you across the face. ouch!

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
sorry folks i have to make a correction in a errata i made earlier in this thread as i have just been corrected myself

where i said
i now have access to a portable luggage scales and just weighed in bag and all kit minus food and clothing at a whopping 25.2kg
it happens with my poor eyesight i read the scale wrong as i read from the lb scale thinking it was the kg scale

therefore the pack weight is 25.2lb and not kg

i have corrected the errata in my previous comment

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@knowledge=gain

Oh for crying out loud :roflmao: slight difference there!! No wonder you seemed sort of blasé about the weight!

Well that's a lot less of an issue then, you can always hone down that weight if needed, especially if you change your sleeping set up (tent) in time, you'll shave off an extra kilo at least.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
@knowledge=gain

Oh for crying out loud :roflmao: slight difference there!! No wonder you seemed sort of blasé about the weight!

Well that's a lot less of an issue then, you can always hone down that weight if needed, especially if you change your sleeping set up (tent) in time, you'll shave off an extra kilo at least.
only slightly... :roflmao:

no wonder it does not feel too heavy when on my shoulders

lighter
sleeping-bag
tent-pegs

are first on the list for shaving the weight

tent size i will not compromise on as i love the room and do not feel closed in like i have done in smaller tents [i do prefer the poly-cotton yet it has been out of stock for a long time so i ended up with the polyester for now], i also prefer the double set of doors for ventilation and air-flow

it took me a very long time and research to decide on the best tent for my needs and budget

cooking kits will depend on weather thus their weight will vary yet not by too much

gas canister with mini-gas-stove in late-spring thru summer
multi-fuel gassifier anytime where wood burning is permitted
spirit stove for winter

and on some occasions i may use the stealth fire-technique aka [Dakota fire]

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
My tent is under 2.5kg, fits me, wife, doggo, a few bits, but under the exterior there is areas each side for packs to be outside. If it was just me in it, it'd be massive.
Camped in it on dartmoor on new years day, when coupled with the rest of the gear.

Should probably elaborate that it fits two people side by side comfortably - I wouldn't have an issue sharing with a dude... in retrospect suggesting it fits my little wife and me comfortably could mean very little to some...

Last edited:

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Let us know how it goes on your trips out
i have taken the backpack and full kit out twice and no problems at all with comfort in carrying

and part kit with it once atm

i managed to carry further than i anticipated in this heat-wave tbh

most times to stop are because of the heat and not due to the weight in the pack

it is always easy to put on and take off that said the left-side waist strap sometimes need retrieving from between the pack and my back when putting it on [any and all tips are greatly appreciated]

overall i seriously think i made the correct choice within the budget i had at the time, and it being reduced really helped

moral of this is

get to your nearest backpack stockist and try them on in-store, get then adjusted to your height [if they have the adjust-ability built in] and you will find the correct fit for you and your needs and like me you may find a reduce price in there somewhere

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE