what is your best technique for

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
finding the correct size of pack for your kit...??

without lugging all your kit to the store

do you go for the nearest in range or a size or two [2] over...??

do you lay out all your kit and take measurements of your kit...??

or have you got a different tried and tested method...??

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
alot of folk generally pack to the size of their pack. ie, the bigger the pack, the more kit you'll take.
as a rough guide, a day pack 30ltrs or less, an overnighter or 2, 45ltr ish, 3-5 nights 60ltr plus.
Of course, it all depends on the time of year, how much kit you want to take etc, even how big you are (larger clothes=more space).
Have a look on youtube at Paul Kirtlys how to pack a rucksack. will give you a good idea

Reactions: Buckshot

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
As Baggins says, it's better to think about it the other way round.
if you want to get the bag to fit the kit it soon becomes a never ending list of kit to take - just in case... and you end up needing a pack horse!
many people have a few different sized bags for different types of trips - weather, duration, possible resupply options etc.
If you just want one pack i would suggest something in the 50-60 litres area/ and or with detachable side pouches. it will work for multiple days/ cold weather and also half full for short trips, you don't need to fill it!
The down side is the bag itself will weigh more than a smaller version.

As you refine what you need and like to take as a luxury, you will develop a system.
I know people who can pack everything for a week in a 30 litre bag and others who think 100 litres is a bit small!

try not to over think it too much. remember your kit will change as your skill and experience grows, buying a bag to fit your kit now may not work for the kit you have in the future.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
As others have said, just get a bag then work backwards.

I've got a Dutch saracen with 2 rocket pouches..totals something like 120 litres.. I can pack that full if I want.. with stuff hanging off it:
My winter sleeping bag, tent, change of clothes, food, water, dog food, dog sleeping bag, waterproofs, drone, camera, etc etc etc I even did a camp on a beach where I took some wood with me incase there was a lack of driftwood...

Or, my sabre 45, which I can barely fit my winter sleeping bag in!!! So it has to be packed a lot more restrictive.

I'd guess my main advice would be "sleeping bag + shelter" how big are those combined..get a bag that at minimum fits that...everything else from there is really just comfort or additionals.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gather up your kit. Bag it up in a bin bag, then stand on the scales. Work out the difference between your weight with and without the kit. Work out what that is in kgs.....and then look at rucksacks sort of that size.

It's not perfect, but it seems to work out pretty well, and it's a good starting point. If nothing else it lets you know what it all feels like as one lump of weight that you're expecting to carry.
I've never yet not pared down having done that :)

We all know that size doesn't always equal weight, but kit is such a diverse arrangement of stuff from sleeping bags to billies, and it all packs differently, but this bag and weigh it in one is surprisingly accurate.

M

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
thank you all, i appreciate your advice
Gather up your kit. Bag it up in a bin bag, then stand on the scales. Work out the difference between your weight with and without the kit. Work out what that is in kgs.....and then look at rucksacks sort of that size.

It's not perfect, but it seems to work out pretty well, and it's a good starting point. If nothing else it lets you know what it all feels like as one lump of weight that you're expecting to carry.
I've never yet not pared down having done that :)

We all know that size doesn't always equal weight, but kit is such a diverse arrangement of stuff from sleeping bags to billies, and it all packs differently, but this bag and weigh it in one is surprisingly accurate.

M
this worked the best for me and fool proof to say the least :smile:

i have now purchased my first backpacking - hiking - bush-craft backpack - rucksack my others are for urban and too small for main yet my largest is ok for day or hikes where i do not need the tent and the tarp will do instead

it is a Traveller 60 + 20l from mountain warehouse in town they fitted me up and adjusted the size let me try it on answered all y questions and were very patient with me in the heat ridden upstairs with non air-conditioning where they keep the rucksacks and-such

it was the only size they had left in stock for my needs and was reduced to £47.99

i looked online and sadly this one is not on there yet they are having good sales at the moment and maybe worthy of checking them out

some as much as fifty percent [50%] off across the whole site https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/travel/backpacks/large-backpacks/ further reductions may be in-store only like mine is

i have to say the room in this backpack - rucksack is plenty

it does come with two [2] removable aluminium corrugated stays which i have taken out as i do not need them

i think it may be a while before i get used to all the straps to tighten to stop kit moving around

it has its own rain-cover

the straps can be hidden and be carried like a holdall

it is a 2/3 clam-shell for main compartment where one [1] does not need to take from the top first

i checked other retailers in the area and sadly they do not cater for above medium size if they do medium at all

i now have access to a portable luggage scales and just weighed in bag and all kit minus food and clothing at a whopping 25.2kg 25.2lb

i know i have to look at reducing weight in time yet i will use what i got

i think during this heatwave

1.48kg sleeping-bag will be replaced with a throw or small blanket

replace cook-set with food that does not need to be cooked...??

leave 3.4kg tent and use tarp

will be going near water source thus can reduce amount of water to carry as no more than 10 minutes from water source in most directions and use water-straw filter

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That tent is realy heavy! Especially for a solo .
Look at walking pole tents such as lansham or the one I have, which is the dd lightweight tarp tent. It comes as two separate purchases, inner and outer, but is quite roomy, if expensive.
I got the outer first and then bought the inner later.
The two together are about a kilo or so.
I have used the outer on its own without the lightweight inner, just take a bit of clear plastic wrapping that I put my mat and bag on, as a groundsheet.
It takes up very little room, in a pack, can also be suspended from a branch or ridge line, or you can cut a pole to fit when you get to your destination.
I like this lightweight tent, as it gives lots of pitching options.
Of course, there is always the bivvy and tarp(which can be used in many different ways to make a shelter) which is much lighter than a normal tent too.
I can get a weekends worth of stuff in a 35 litre pack+small bumbag for keys, wallet, snacks, etc no frills such as power banks and that includes spare clothes, water and food
I'm sure someone can tell you about the ever popular lansham.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
That tent is realy heavy! Especially for a solo .
Look at walking pole tents such as lansham or the one I have, which is the dd lightweight tarp tent. It comes as two separate purchases, inner and outer, but is quite roomy, if expensive.
I got the outer first and then bought the inner later.
The two together are about a kilo or so.
I have used the outer on its own without the lightweight inner, just take a bit of clear plastic wrapping that I put my mat and bag on, as a groundsheet.
It takes up very little room, in a pack, can also be suspended from a branch or ridge line, or you can cut a pole to fit when you get to your destination.
I like this lightweight tent, as it gives lots of pitching options.
Of course, there is always the bivvy and tarp(which can be used in many different ways to make a shelter) which is much lighter than a normal tent too.
I can get a weekends worth of stuff in a 35 litre pack+small bumbag for keys, wallet, snacks, etc no frills such as power banks and that includes spare clothes, water and food
I'm sure someone can tell you about the ever popular lansham.
thank you

do you mean one [1] of these

not in budget for quite a while

i can reduce the weight of the tent pegs and get the aluminium pegs as its the heavy duty pegs that make the weight

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's such an own goal though. Get one that'll do and get used to it, get a lot of use out of it, and only when it's tired, then look again knowing what you do about how you actually use it.
We're just so spoiled for choice these days.

M

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
KG, if you have a computer with excel you really need to weigh your stuff and figure out what's killing you weight wise.

25kg minus food and clothing, is that also minus water? That weighs 1kg per litre, and I typically carry 4 litres when I'm out, but I'm carrying for me, doggo and brew for 2, wife will normally carry 2 litres as well.. obviously a water source would be more handy. But if your weight is minus water too then you'll be over 30kg which is doable but won't be great fun depending on terrain...

As others have mentioned, the tent weighs a bit, but even if you swapped it out, you'd still get something that's probably 1.5-2kg anyway, so you need to visit your other "stuff" to see what's in there.

Orrrrr alternatively don't...I don't mean this in an unkind way but..keep it going, add your water, food, clothing, see how heavy it is, go on a small walk/camp, feel the weight of what you're carrying, do your overnighter, come back then "debrief" and see what you really want, what you could maybe do without and what you didn't use (and realise will probably never use) and repack from there.

My problem is I have to carry a few extra bits for doggo which is: food for doggo, lead, doggo sleep system, water for us, and additional FAK items.. When that's added to luxury items like portable chargers, cameras, etc, the weight very quickly creeps up. One thing you can quickly discover is if you say "oh that only weighs a little bit more" enough times, you'll need an elephant to carry your final pack.. everything you weigh doesn't seem "too bad", but 10 items all weighing a kilo extra is 10kgs...

I've had my pack and gear weighing in at well over 30kg before - possibly 36kg? That was a heavy day out..

Reactions: wookii

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh my goodness, we all have our overpacking and very heavy rucksack stories that are recounted with rueful laughter around campfires !
It takes time to find and afford the perfect light pack that caters for all our needs, but experience will help.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just never carry a heavy pack, but that said, many on here rarely get out beyond a decent walk.
Between work and family commitments it's often hard to squeeze in time to just chill out for a few days, and when the chance does come, it's the perfect opportunity to try out kit.
That some prefer to travel with the minimum and work with what we source just isn't do-able for many or much of the country.

So, I think there's a balance to be found. Find what weight you can actually carry with comfort, and work around that.
It can be good fun trying different combinations of stuff, and seasons :)

M

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Just remember that if you stack it whilst walking, you need to be able to get back up again and not be stuck like a turtle on its back :rofl:

Also bear in mind that whatever you are carrying is putting pressure on your body, so depending on your fitness, pre existing injuries etc you could find yourself getting a bit messed up. I can lift and carry a lot of weight, but now knowing how debilitating knee injuries are (turns out I'm not invincible), I'd be careful trying to be a hero with excess stuff...

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Since I don't buy gear or backpacks every week I know that my old school bulky equipement (& the dog's stuff) won't fit into anything smaller than a 60 litre pack. There are also aesthetics to consider. I much prefer the look, the versatility & the comfort of a 60-70 litre rucksack, so if I was to buy a new pack, it would be in that capacity range even if I only had 35 litres worth of gear......just 'cause I like 'em.
Despite my advanced age I haven't yet been tempted to go down the ultralight route, maybe if & when I do, my criteria will change too.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried the ultra light packs. They're damned uncomfortable to wear for long.
There's a reason that 'structured' packs are a good thing :)

Again, I think there's a balance to be found. Decent straps don't need to weight a ton, but they do need to fit and be comfortable. Strings don't do it, iimmc ? Doesn't mean you can't compromise and not have a totally bombproof pack and still save four kgs of weight :)

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You keep getting another backpack that is bigger or smaller, lighter or sturdier, have more or fewer pockets and so on and so on. ;D
i have saw this to be a very true account of events... :laugh:
It's such an own goal though. Get one that'll do and get used to it, get a lot of use out of it, and only when it's tired, then look again knowing what you do about how you actually use it.
We're just so spoiled for choice these days.

M
that is in part what i based my decision on, for longevity
KG, if you have a computer with excel you really need to weigh your stuff and figure out what's killing you weight wise.

25kg minus food and clothing, is that also minus water? That weighs 1kg per litre, and I typically carry 4 litres when I'm out, but I'm carrying for me, doggo and brew for 2, wife will normally carry 2 litres as well.. obviously a water source would be more handy. But if your weight is minus water too then you'll be over 30kg which is doable but won't be great fun depending on terrain...

As others have mentioned, the tent weighs a bit, but even if you swapped it out, you'd still get something that's probably 1.5-2kg anyway, so you need to visit your other "stuff" to see what's in there.

Orrrrr alternatively don't...I don't mean this in an unkind way but..keep it going, add your water, food, clothing, see how heavy it is, go on a small walk/camp, feel the weight of what you're carrying, do your overnighter, come back then "debrief" and see what you really want, what you could maybe do without and what you didn't use (and realise will probably never use) and repack from there.

My problem is I have to carry a few extra bits for doggo which is: food for doggo, lead, doggo sleep system, water for us, and additional FAK items.. When that's added to luxury items like portable chargers, cameras, etc, the weight very quickly creeps up. One thing you can quickly discover is if you say "oh that only weighs a little bit more" enough times, you'll need an elephant to carry your final pack.. everything you weigh doesn't seem "too bad", but 10 items all weighing a kilo extra is 10kgs...

I've had my pack and gear weighing in at well over 30kg before - possibly 36kg? That was a heavy day out..
i have weighed some kit and need to weigh all new kit

i know the areas where i can reduce weight yet funds do not allow thus i had to go with what i can afford
Oh my goodness, we all have our overpacking and very heavy rucksack stories that are recounted with rueful laughter around campfires !
It takes time to find and afford the perfect light pack that caters for all our needs, but experience will help.
i guess i am joining the club... :smile:
I just never carry a heavy pack, but that said, many on here rarely get out beyond a decent walk.
Between work and family commitments it's often hard to squeeze in time to just chill out for a few days, and when the chance does come, it's the perfect opportunity to try out kit.
That some prefer to travel with the minimum and work with what we source just isn't do-able for many or much of the country.

So, I think there's a balance to be found. Find what weight you can actually carry with comfort, and work around that.
It can be good fun trying different combinations of stuff, and seasons :)

M
i have seen that for many it does take time and funding to get the ideal weight
Just remember that if you stack it whilst walking, you need to be able to get back up again and not be stuck like a turtle on its back :rofl:

Also bear in mind that whatever you are carrying is putting pressure on your body, so depending on your fitness, pre existing injuries etc you could find yourself getting a bit messed up. I can lift and carry a lot of weight, but now knowing how debilitating knee injuries are (turns out I'm not invincible), I'd be careful trying to be a hero with excess stuff...
that is part reason for getting the right backpack - rucksack with the sternum and waist straps that is adjustable for my height and tall enough to hold my current kit
Since I don't buy gear or backpacks every week I know that my old school bulky equipement (& the dog's stuff) won't fit into anything smaller than a 60 litre pack. There are also aesthetics to consider. I much prefer the look, the versatility & the comfort of a 60-70 litre rucksack, so if I was to buy a new pack, it would be in that capacity range even if I only had 35 litres worth of gear......just 'cause I like 'em.
Despite my advanced age I haven't yet been tempted going down the ultalight route, maybe if & when I do, my criteria will change too.
i have noticed how much more comfortable this 60 + 20l is compared to my medium size urban

i have tested the weight on my body with backpack - rucksack and it feels ok thus far for short distance no fatigue at all in this heat-wave

real test will be when i go camping

I tried the ultra light packs. They're damned uncomfortable to wear for long.
There's a reason that 'structured' packs are a good thing :)

Again, I think there's a balance to be found. Decent straps don't need to weight a ton, but they do need to fit and be comfortable. Strings don't do it, iimmc ? Doesn't mean you can't compromise and not have a totally bombproof pack and still save four kgs of weight :)
they look uncomfortable too

true as the straps on this Traveller 60 + 20l are well structured and in the right places, well for me at least

the weight properly distributes to my hips with no issues i can detect this far

i think if a couple of extra pounds for the pack are needed for comfort compared to ultralight un-comfort then so be it

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
KG,
Not everything will be down to cost/replacement, more than just not taking xyz, especially in the summer.
We camped on new years day on Dartmoor last year in the snow and it was a heavy camp because of:
1. Winter sleeping bags are heavy
2. Took a wool blanket for additional insulation.
3. Carried another sleeping bag for doggo.
4. Took extra luxury items like extra booze, games, lots of sweet treats (over normal amounts).
5. We also packed for getting snowed in, which considering we only parked a few miles away, would probably have made sense to leave the extra stuff in the car rather than carrying it.....literally just considered that right now... :doh:

As above, I can fit all my summer gear into a sabre 45 (45 litre) with a predator pouch on the front and a 10l rocket pouch one side, and a tent on the other...it'd be a very different type of camp, but its possible to condense - Not suggesting you need a smaller pack, you don't! But suggesting that its always easy to fill a bigger pack with an extra this or that.

It'd be interesting to see a rough kit list.

Also for your info, you can pick up some decent bargains on random "camping" gear in places like lidl an aldi.

Edit:
I couldn't tell you the weights as I'd need to look them all up, but in my pack main body right now I have:
1. Light summer sleeping bag packs v small - from lidl iirc?
2. Inflatable sleep mat packs v small - think from go outdoors, not an expensive one (but I appreciate not peanuts).
3. I have my sleep stuff in dry bag (which is basically thermal long-sleeved top and bottoms and a beanie hat - also socks which double as my second pair)
4. Hygiene kit in a dry bag - (deodorant, toothpaste, tooth brushes).
5. Bog kit in another bag - trowel, loo roll, hand sanitiser.
6. A bag containing a gas bottle, some cotton wool and 2 lightweight mugs.
On the top ill have FAK which is designed with 2 + doggo in mind - probably overkill but haven't got far with that.
I'll close it up, stuff my down jacket under the top clip with a neck scarf thing (which will also double as a pillow with a few other clothing items).

Can't remember what's on the inside zip of the lid :/ maybe my Sawyer water filter?

Main lid zip:
Keys
Headtorch
Knife
Cordage
Probably would contain snacks too and maybe my phone.

Close that all down and on the very top under the elastic I have a roll mat.

Side rocket pouch:
2 litre water bottle
More snacks? I can't remember

Other side is my tent can't remember name of it.

On the front is a predator pouch which has 3 pockets, 2 small one bigger
1 small I know for a fact contains some snack bars :lol: I think it also contains 2 plastic fork/spoons (double ended).
Not sure on other small
Big one contains:
Pocket rocket stove in plastic box (which also holds 2 disposable lighters)
Mess tin with brewkit inside it (brewkit is the instant coffee sticks, tea bags, hot chocolate etc etc etc).

In the back pocket of the predator pouches I have a sit mat and prior to her finding them a couple bars of dark chocolate stashed away for a rainy day...

Attached to the outside of the pack behind the predator pouch is a small plastic and latex collapsible doggo bowl.

There is room inside main compartment there for a 2l water bottle and some food as well as a bag of doggo grub.

I'm bound to have missed something, but that's an idea of the crap I take...

Also dog lead somewhere and maybe drone if I can be arsed..

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE