What is this mushroom?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I am stepping cautiously into the world of mushrooms, and there is a patch of small brown mushrooms packed close together, that look like a mound of hazelnuts that are in the garden, a tiny white thing in a flowerpot in the toilet, and then this bracket fungus I found up the woods, Ive got one peice that is fresh and I am about to disect, and one thats dry from last year as a bedroom decoration :)

But what type of mushroom is it? Go over to the gallery on the right:
http://woodwhite.moonfruit.com/#/welcome/4536384591
Thanks in advance :D

The Bracket, if I'm looking at the right picture is the Birch Polypore Piptoporus Betulinus, very common on dead/dying birch. (looks quite old)

no edible use; you can eat them when really young if you boil the hell out of them and enjoy eating rubber,

2 main uses for it would be you can cut it into a rectangular shape; dry it out and use the underside to strop your knife.

also you can cut a strip out from the underside (the spore tubes) when they are not too old and peel it off and user it as a plaster and the spores are mildly antiseptic.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They make great emergency plasters..

18Sept200820.jpg

18Sept200821.jpg

And after a few hours they set quite hard but still pliable. They feel much better on and less restrictive than our modern day equivalents.

18Sept200831.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE