What is this air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

I have a rat visiting from next door, which caused me to remember an air rifle in my dads garage. I now have it here but the front sight has gone missing, can anyone identify the rifle and suggest where I might get a front sight please?

air_rifle0034.jpg

air_rifle0035.jpg

The slot for the front sight is 17mm at the widest point
air_rifle0036.jpg

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Looks like an old BSA Cadet to me. Ah, the memories!

You might find someone selling a sight on e-bay, but most likely you'll need to have one made or adapt one from another gun.

Dave

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Yep BSA Cadet

might be best to chuck it at the rat they dont have much power even in good nick
you could make a front sight just make a dovetail bit in metal/ plastic or wood to fit and have a pin in the middle

Ah, the rifle has not been used since about...... 1972!

I had thought if plastic and a nail, but if it too gutless I amd not sure it is worth the effort. Chucking it may work though.
I reckon the distance will be about 39ft.

There are days that I miss the old SLR or even the Browning :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would suspect there are dovetails on the rear for a telescopic sight (two grooves in the top - one each side). Far easier than replacing the front sight - and cheaper too. That said I would cock it and put a few pellets through it first to check that it is working and has enough power

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have a BSA major cadet, which was an engagement present from my mum to my dad. Its been used & abused, & before i got it passed to me in the late 60's, the front sight was missing, so was the blade from the rear sight. I made a "new" front sight using a jubilee clip & a bent nail, so its easy to do.
I did eventualy replace the front sight, never got round to doing so for the rear sight though.

Rob

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
I have a BSA major cadet, which was an engagement present from my mum to my dad. Its been used & abused, & before i got it passed to me in the late 60's, the front sight was missing, so was the blade from the rear sight. I made a "new" front sight using a jubilee clip & a bent nail, so its easy to do.
I did eventualy replace the front sight, never got round to doing so for the rear sight though.

Rob

Will it kill a rat at 30ft ?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Will it kill a rat at 30ft ?

Not sure which one you have, the major was the sligtly bigger/more powerful version, which in good condition would kill one, though 30ft is a long way, but that one, i doubt it.

Red, no dovetails on these they are way to old, it would be possible to solder a piece of bar on to the top & mount your own though.

Rob

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Cadet major, mine was running at about 2ftlb tops and was in good condition. If you want to kill a rat with it i suggest lobbing the rifle at it, youve got more chance of doing it a decent amount of damage. Still, lovely plinker!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Cadet major, mine was running at about 2ftlb tops and was in good condition. If you want to kill a rat with it i suggest lobbing the rifle at it, youve got more chance of doing it a decent amount of damage. Still, lovely plinker!

Lol !, i must of had a better one, despite its knocked about appearence. I have no idea of ftlb, but did shoot a fair bit of stuff with it as a youngster.

Rob

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My elder brother told me that when "he was a lad" one of his mates had a beat up old Cadet, it was a challenge to see how many times you could put your thumb over the end of the barrel to stop the "slug" coming out when it was fired. He sort of thinks about 5 times was enough! Doing it the first time was a sort of right of passage.

Dave

I would suspect there are dovetails on the rear for a telescopic sight (two grooves in the top - one each side). Far easier than replacing the front sight - and cheaper too. That said I would cock it and put a few pellets through it first to check that it is working and has enough power

lol no rails on these

and yes a few pellets into a book etc would test it actually gets a pellet out the end just watch they dont bounce and hit you

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE