What is the difference

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I'm not stressed or confrontational,It seems as if no-one is able to justify the cost of these knives solely on their abilities ( knives not people) Is it that people see them as a status symbol?

You might not be stressed, but you sure come across as being up for some sort of arguement :p

As has been said...why should anyone here need to justify this to you? The reasons for its pricing on the after market seem so obvious that it looks like the only reason to ask the question so persistently is because you want to start some sort of debate or arguement. What a weird thing to want to do :confused:

You should check out what a Moran or Loveless go for. :lmao: Then go on a knife collectors forum and ask what they do that a Coldsteel Hunter doesn't! :D

When people decide that something is collectable its percieved value will increase beyond the point of its utility. When the demand outstrips the supply the prices will rise to whatever the market will bear. This aftermarket value is not the same as the new price. If you look at the US market there are quite a few knife makers who's knives appreciate, at least enough that it shouldn't be seen as some unique to the Woodlore.

The aftermarket price of something can easily have nothing to do with its original selling price, or its utility compared to other items on the market. What more do you want to hear?:confused:

Things have value because people say they do. When people stop thinking it has value, it won't anymore. Same as money.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
KUDOS is what it does that others can't provide. It can and does create a greater desire to own one than any other is the simple truth. Why you ask? Quite simply because it can. The perception of the general public is that it's the Rolls Royce of outdoor knives, whether you think rightly or wrongly is irrelavent, it just does, because of it's origins. You may ask the self same question of a Rolls Royce and a Lada, they can both get you from A to B, but which gives you the kudos? Personally I'm not prepared to pay the money, and am not prepared to wait on the list till I get one, so I will buy something which suits my needs whether it be a car or a knife. So for me something which I can use comfortably, something in my price range, and something which I can get almost straight away is what I would choose.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'll assume that nobody can answer it then

"The reasons for its pricing on the after market seem so obvious that it looks like the only reason to ask the question so persistently is because you want to start some sort of debate or arguement. What a weird thing to want to do "

Another question .What is a forum for,If not to have debates?
This is getting silly now I have asked a genuine question ( not because I have a downer on any knife but because there is an element that seem to think that these knives are the be all and end all) .If this is the case why can no-one answer and tell me what they can physically do that no other knife can.
Somebody just starting the hobby ight feel at a disadvantage if they couldn't afford one and could well be put off by this .

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk

Somebody just starting the hobby ight feel at a disadvantage if they couldn't afford one and could well be put off by this .

I think what a lot of folk use forums for is to gain information. If you look back through the forum on knife recommendations for beginners again and again there is one knife that is recommended for beginners and it costs less than £10. I don't remember any threads on here suggesting that woodlores are the be all and end all can you post a link to one?

You have asked a genuine question to which the answer is very obvious and many people have given you the answer "no it does nothing that no other knife can do." How many times do you need telling what do you want? what point are you trying to make?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
itchy_n_scratchy.gif

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
It's just a knife guys.
Why do some people buy a coke instead of a pepsi?
It's all about perceived value.
The Woodlore knife has a higher perceived value than a mora. If ray had gone off on one about the mora being the best knife for bushcraft then it wouldn't be as cheap as it is now. It would be as expensive as the woodlore.
Another reason is that limited production creates demand, a higher demand creates an increase in price.

Think about the photography world. A limited edition, say a print run of only 200 or only 3 prints released per year is priced so much higher (£1,000 - £10,000) than a ongoing print run which can only be sold for £15 -£35 depending on size.

Perceived value is everything and the perceived value of the Woodlore is huge due to the publicity of ray and the price it sells for.

In conclusion, it's not a better knife than one from Dave Budd or Bernie Garland, it's just perceived that way.

--

Ps, I agree with Wayland.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
...there is an element that seem to think that these knives are the be all and end all

There you go. You've provided your own answer. THAT'S why some people are prepared to pay that price.
And it's because the answer to your own question was self-evident that everyone is so dumbfounded as to why you feel the need to be so persistent in asking it.

...tell me what they can physically do that no other knife can.

They can't do anything that no other knife can do. That's been made quite a few times as well.
Judging by the number of people who have recently joined this site it doesn't seem to put people off. And if that one issue was going to throw someone...well, what a terribly difficult life they must lead anyway. As an adult (to be able to buy a knife) they are confronted with decisions all the time. I can't see anyone collapsing into a state of existential turmoil and giving up just because they can't afford a £750 knife. Can you?
Stop taking it all so seriously.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford

"The reasons for its pricing on the after market seem so obvious that it looks like the only reason to ask the question so persistently is because you want to start some sort of debate or arguement. What a weird thing to want to do "

This is getting silly now I have asked a genuine question ( not because I have a downer on any knife but because there is an element that seem to think that these knives are the be all and end all) .If this is the case why can no-one answer and tell me what they can physically do that no other knife can.

Sapper, I think you're only reading the replies (or bits of) that you want to.
If you read the rest of Chris's post you'd see he explains it very well IMO - despite it being obvious.

Debate is a good thing on this forum (as long as it's not religion or politics ;) ) but pointless baiting isn't

Mark

Enzo

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2008
N,Lanarkshire
sapper1, Why would YOU buy one when you already have another knife ???
as you have already said you would if they were cheaper. :banghead:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'm not stressed or confrontational,It seems as if no-one is able to justify the cost of these knives solely on their abilities ( knives not people) Is it that people see them as a status symbol?

How do you justify paying £millions for some pigment stuck to an old square of sacking?

I can't.

AW knives sell for the price they do because folk are willing to pay that price. End of problem.

I am perfectly happy with my choice of bushcrafty knives and wouldn't consider paying out for an expensive AW. I have no problem at all with anyone else doing so and I can't understand why you do.:confused:

perception is a bugger aint it i think its a valid question sapper and all the ansewers are equally as valid the encouragement to buy into lifestyles is rampant in all circles im still using gerbers and they work fine for what i do sure i mess with the blades but thats my taste i also carry a bearclaw on my bouyancy aid when im guiding but its fek all use fer putting peanut butter on yer oatcakes......

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland

The Woodlore cannot physically do anything that no other knife can.
This is also true for all other knives. Still people buy more than 1 knife for the simple reason that they want to.
And there's a lot of people out there who wants the Woodlore, hence the high price.
Supply and demand - it's as simple as that.
Supply is low.
And why is the Woodlore in such a high demand? I suppose you have to ask the clever people that are advertising/selling Ray Mears-logoed stuff about that. They've certainly understood a lot about "supply and demand", and are raking in a fortune thanks to it.

Don't see what it is you want with your asking the same question over and over despite that fact that it's been answered a few times in this thread already.

/ Karl

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
My shot at the original question: it gives you a tiniest bit of a head start.
You're starting off in bushcraft (or whatever you choose to call it), and would like a blade. So, if you can afford it (big if), you buy one with a seal of approval (open to the usual immense debate). One less thing to worry about while you choose between pots, tarps, waterproofs and fire-lighting systems.
Until you read deeper into the fora on BCUK.

I've got one of the earlier AWs, but it gets less day-to-day usage than my £4 rigger's knife (which, among other things, is used to pry stones from the lawn). If I were to lose the AW and commission my own knife (two more big ifs), I wouldn't choose a Woodlore profile. But hundreds of others would.

(Shorter answer: great multi-purpose axe-substitue, less control for the fine stuff).

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
I suppose a more interesting answer might be provided by taking a step back and asking what makes the demand so high?

Being from the other side of the world we seem to have missed the whole Ray Mears thing, although his Australian walkabout series is showing on one of our more obscure TV channels at the moment.

The supply is presumably driven by either the maker's ability to produce the knives, or possibly the more cynical might say the desire to produce few enough to keep the demand going.

So what creates the demand? Is it merely that this is a very nice knife, or is it the marketing hype and cult following that surrounds it and Ray Mears?

If it is because it is a very nicely made piece of kit then this is sensible. I don't mind paying a lot of money for truly well made and high quality gear.

But if it's really just an extension of the consumer society driven by advertising and product endorsements - that need to have the same bit of kit that a celebrity/public figure etc is using, then I'm not sure I see the sense.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire

Then we must assume you cannot read in that case, cos there have been many answers to your question, could it be perhaps you just don't like those answers?

You are quite correct, and it is you who is the cause of the sillieness mate cos you seem to be unwilling or unable to comprehend that people have genuinely answered you, could it be that you cannot understand this?

Somebody just starting the hobby might feel at a disadvantage if they couldn't afford one and could well be put off by this .

I doubt that very much indeed, much like any hobby taken up by anyone, interest in any subject is driven by the desire to take part, and as with so many hobbies and pastimes we participate by using the equipment we can afford, some may also dream of owning the same clubs as Tiger uses or the same knive that Ray uses but reality brings us down to earth when the bills come in so it remains a dream or an ideal to be aimed at.

I'm not having a go at you mate and I don't wish to offend,but you don't for some reason seem to see that your question has been answered many times over on this thread by many different people, why don't you see it? It may not be the answer you wanted but your question has been answered, could it be that it's not the question asked in the correct way to get a more acceptable answer for you?

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Blingpower :D

Honestly... Who cares...

I think it won't do anything better, faster nor get an edge sharper and with more longevity than any other handcrafted knife around...

It has a name on it, and there is limited supply....Price goes up. Obviously.

If i were to sell any of my knives, it would cost quite a deal, if i had a reputation to speak of.

I have a woodhandled frost, several danish scout-knives, roverknives and the like, and then i have the knifes i have made with good blades from various good smiths.
I love the frost, because of its simplicity and good blade, but my primary knife is allways one i have made myself. They "fit", and are unique in their own ways. Even taking from my own stockpile, i have knifes i love, and knifes i'd rather keep stowed away, as they do not look appealing to me, or their blades are inferior.

But i suppose its the first line i wrote you are after anyhow, so here it is again: Blingpower!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE