What is the difference

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Please read this thread in conjunction with the thread about knife prices on ebay.

After a brief discussion with a member here who couldn't answer this question (or wouldn't)
What can an Alan Wood Woodlore knife do that another knife can't?
Can anybody else answer this?
The fact that it can gain value is irrelevant as this doesn't affect the knifes ability to perform in use.
So, any body know?
What can an AW Woodlore do that no other knife can, or any other knife cannot?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Did you all miss the part where I said Gaining value is irrelevant.
The cash value of a knife counts for nothing in the woods.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
In actual use, nothing. I bought my (moderately) expensive hand-made bushcraft knife primarily because I like supporting local(ish) craftsmen.

rancid badger

Thinking about it; I would expect almost all; genuine Woodlores, to outlast other knives,on the simple principle that most people who own them, probably dare not use them for fear of them losing value!:D

So, longevity, that's all it has to offer.
Mind you any other "heavier" knife, of decent steel, will last as long.

I'll stick with my Bernie Garland bushcrafter.
cheers
R.B.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
OK, one upmanship then.

Owning, supposedly/alledgedly, the best knife in the bushcraft community !!
Or is that because a famous person has endorsed it/ had a hand in designing it and got his name on it ?

I'll stick to my Helle and Clipper thank you very much.

Horses for courses really.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
After a breif discussion with a member here who couldn't answer this question (or wouldn't)
What can an Alan Wood Woodlore knife do that another knife cant?
Can anybody else answer this?
The fact that it can gain value is irrelevant as this doesn't affect the kifes ability to perform in use.
So, any body know?
What can an AW Woodlore do that no other knife can, or any other knife cannot?

Which other knife?

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
A knife used as a bushcraft knife.
I didn't think I needed to explain that,no-one else has needed an explanation.
If you need anything else explaining don't hesitate to ask I'll help you all I can.If you feel you can't ask me, ask any other grown up I'm sure they'll help too.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I like a man with a sense of humour,There's nothing worse than a moaner.
Feel like answering the question yet?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
At no point have i said an Alan Wood knife will do anything better in the woods than an other identical knife.
I said they are an investment, which they are, i don't know what the rest of this rubbish is about ????
What question am i supposed to be answering and why am i supposed to answer it ?
A serious question for you , are you really Bernie Garland ?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've never understood the Woodlore clone thing. I'm sure they function well enough but I want something a bit more individual.

A knife is just a knife, some do particular tasks better than others but a "bushcraft" knife has to be multifunctional, so no one design is ever going to be the "perfect" bushcraft knife.

All that really matters is how you like the knife you use.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Rapid boy,the question I've asked is following on from another thread about the prices people are prepared to pay for an AW woodlore,not a comparison between this and any particular knife or maker.
I can't explain it any simpler than this:-
What can an AW woodlore knife do that any other knife cannot that justifies the prices that some people are prepared to pay,Is there some thing it can do that only this knife can and no other can.
If you don't feel you know the answer just say so.
If you have a problem with Bernie I suggest you take it up with him,not me

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I don't think a knife of the same material and broadly the same spec (ie 01, length, blade thickness, grind, rc) would or could do any more or less than an AW. Maybe different steel, grind etc might give it different handling attributes and suitablility to carve over, lets say skin something. However I think this would just be splitting hairs. The difference may come in the skillful hand of the user.

Oh...knowing the postal addresses of both Sapper1 and Bernie I am pretty sure they are not the same man. Anyway, Sapper1's language is better! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LBL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE