what is the best cutlery option and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I had used titanium sporks and they were good. But now I use a Kungaryfu antler spoon- and it's fantastic - much better :cool:.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Just get a good spoon.

Yup, just use what you've got ~ if it fits in your mitts and gob and you like it, then it's all good :D .

I use a ti spork, but for a couple of good reasons:

• I was away and misplaced / lost / forgot what I would have usually used ...
  • At the time it was the cheapest viable option ...
  • Continuing to use it reminds of the trip I bought it on ...
  • I can adjust the simmer ring of a trangia (or type) stove with it without damaging it ~ wouldn't like to do that with plastic or wood etc ;) :p ...
  • Usage of titanium and sporks can annoy some folk. And the combination of the two can blow gaskets ~ and sometimes pulling a scab is fun!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I had one of those placky Light My Fire spork things ages ago, liked it but it broke one day while I was squeezing a teabag against the side of my mug with it.
Complained to a mate while I was helping her set up her rally computer before she did a rally in the Sahara.

Anyway, a while later she came back (after doing well in the rally) and being the nice person that she is she gave me a titanium Light my fire spork
for helping her.

Now some people might prefer something hand carved from wood taken from the elfen forests but me? Ti Spork works a treat.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
As much as I love traditional and homemade gear, I wouldn't be without my titanium spork. Mind you, I hide it well amidst the leather, canvas and wooden gear just incase anyone might see ;)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I carry a Ti spoon & fork because some things are just nicer eaten with a fork; sausages, for instance, and like Sam's steak it makes some things easier too. I have a little old carbon steel table knife for prep & eating and a silicone spoon doodah thingy for getting the Tran-pans clean so that splash & wipe suffices for washing up.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For the avoidance of doubt, neither spoons nor forks are in fact cutlery. They are flatware. Cutlery....cuts.

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
I personally just use the Nato kfs set that comes in the handy little green sheath I guess you'd call it. But that's when I go camping at car shows and on holidays if I'm going for more of the over nighter bushcraft feel I'd probably go for something homemade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE