What is the best cook set and why

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I wonder if they did any trials ones in SS? Something like a Crusader but big enough for a decent sized boil in the bag would suit me fine.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Personal preference and all that but to be honest I really like ally for pots. The Mors pot is a great bit of kit that's just right if that makes sense. Something that if you could do this or that would you- I wouldn't just avoid all round pot- however I like stainless and I'm on civil ground with titanium just not sure on it- Titan kettle is ok but I wouldn't go out of my way for one. I have to say I'm not that fussed- but ally has served me personally very well. :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I like Ti pots. I also have a Ti mug and billy which I use with a woodgas stove.

And a stainless billy over the fire is a classic...

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Have you ever had hotspot problems at all Jonathan?

I did when I used them for food so now I use the titanium stuff for mainly eating and drinking from- or making a brew in. Can't go wrong with a stainless billy- and the zebras are good bits for kit- but the handle and the lid I'm not mad about- but I'm being picky there because the price is great for what you get. Though I do still crave more dutch oven cooking :D.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you ever had hotspot problems at all Jonathan?

I did when I used them for food so now I use the titanium stuff for mainly eating and drinking from- or making a brew in. Can't go wrong with a stainless billy- and the zebras are good bits for kit- but the handle and the lid I'm not mad about- but I'm being picky there because the price is great for what you get. Though I do still crave more dutch oven cooking :D.

Small Dutchy having a rest last weekend Cam. Large coffee pot on the go and copper kettle waiting in the wings. Cobb oven was doing a roast chicken that night!

IMG_0241.JPG

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
My main purpose in the short term will be back garden camps and days out in the sticks
with my boys. I have recently purchased a web-tex warrior cook set much like the crusader and am looking to broaden my adventuring capabilities.
Its a matter of engaging my son's in outdoor activities.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That is a set up that I could enjoy in the garden with the boys. Where did you get the tri pod?

I used to sell the tripods in my now defunct shop, that ones a GSI one. But there are makers on here at BCUK that produce them, someone even had a metal ring, chain and hook set up that just required you to find three sticks for around £13 the other day. Will see if I can find it and pop it up for you.
The tripods are handy, though I think we wen't overkill as two mates and I all have one each as well as the table/firegrills that the Cobb is resting on in the picture. As well as a 12" & 14" Dutchys and the pots & kettles that you saw. We like to eat when out.:eek:

For me there isnt one set thats ideal for everything.
One pot options it has to be the swedish army pot that comes with the spirit burner and windshield.
For more than one pot I like the large and small mors pots and a crusader mess tin. Then I've two pots for cooking/boiling/water collection and a frying pan.
although I recently bought a one egg frying pan from aldi which is gonna get modified for going in the mors pots and negating the need for the mess tins.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I use stuff that has accumulated over the years ...
My main billy was originally a biscuit barrel and my small billy a coffee container - both Stainless steel with no seams - with the addition of wire coat-hanger bails and hazel lid buttons they have been my "go to" pots for several years if not a decade...
My frying pan is a cast-iron "sizzler" with a detachable handle that I picked up in a charity shop for pennies.
I sometimes use old mess tins and a mess tin lid frying pan or a hobo set made from a drainer and ... a coffee container, while a small Dutch Oven and a steel bakestone or girdle each get an occasional airing.
As a back up stove I carry a Trangia Triangle and all the cookset items will sit on this except the small billies and the Dutch Oven.
If I am in my van I will use a Jetboil Flash with its simple pot and if camping with my wife a large Trangia (gas or meths burners) with the pots and frying pan as supplied.
I never use kettles - I find my billies more use and more versatile!

Sep 17, 2014
United Kingdom
My favourite cook set is Solo Stove combined with Solo Pot and cheap alcohol burner. Why?
1) No problem with fuel. You can take alcohol with you on the plane (gas bottles are not allowed) and even if you run out of spirit you will always find the twigs to burn them in the stove.
2) Compact build and quality of the set makes it very packable and easy to stove in always overpacked rucksack.
3) Solo Pot has scale so it will prevent boiling more water than you need.
4) It is reliable and good looking piece of kit.
Not too cheap but worth of every penny.
Sorry but as a new member can't post the pics yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE