What is good about opinel knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Can any one tell me what is the reason alot of people go for opinel knives?

Are they stronger or better maid than other folding knives?.

I am thinking of getting one which would be the top choice ?.

Thanks all.

Rob

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
i use to own one of the larger ones ,and i found you had to spend a lot of time oiling the rotating bit as it would get grit embedded in it and it would seize so you couldnt lock it .just my take on them.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
they are cheap so you can buy one and decide for yourself!
-About £5-10 depending on size,
-they are available in carbon steel,
-are easy to make into a non-locking version where this is a legal necessity are -easy to customise
-easy to keep sharp
-traditional looks

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
The reason they are so good is that they are well made and inexpensive. You're not gonna pay more than 8Pounds for one. I just bought my second one off Ebay for 13Euros with P&P.

My first one is still going great. Its a real versatile knife and as long as its not left wet, it wont give you any problems. My father recommended them to me as his father was a fisherman who used his for years.

Oh, and No. 8 all the way ;-)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
They are very, very cheap and take a very sharp edge very easily. I certainly wouldn't say that they're better than any other knife, but they are extremely good value. Be aware that they're soft and thin though.

As for which one... The number 7 is a popular size, but it's up to you really...

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Indeed, I have a number eight and it is my favourite blade for whittling and carving etc. You can sharpen it to a razors edge on a flat piece of very fine wet and dry in about 2mins, and it cost me £6! Good for food prep round the fire as well (as long as you clean it straight afterwards due to the carbon steel)

Oh, and it also produces crazy sparks off my ferro rod.

I'd go for the number 8, I had a number 10 but I managed to shatter it. They aren't up for heavy tasks.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
That they are made of carbon still and relatively easy to hone. There was also, at least in the 70’s, a sense that they were semi-disposable being a fairly cheap item.

The main failing, and I speak with some intimate experience, is their tendency to wear and become ‘slack’ at the rotating interference securing point. :cussing:
Be very aware of this, especially when undertaking tough chores, and regularly re-check lock-ring position. I have several gathering dust in a drawer with the tapering ring so worn it can be rotated without making contact with the blade’s heel.

Cheers

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Yeah, my original one is already gone like that. it rusted over, so I oiled it to free it up but the locking ring is so loose I need to make a concious effort to keep checking it. I think I might weld or solder mine permanently open and locked and then get a sheath for it.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
They're simple, inexpensive, and personally, I find them safer than the lock-back type of folding knives. I have a No. 8, still going strong after several hunting trips, survival outings and many several bushcraft projects. And the price? It's like a folding Mora! :lmao:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Floyd Soul said:
Yeah, my original one is already gone like that. it rusted over, so I oiled it to free it up but the locking ring is so loose I need to make a concious effort to keep checking it. I think I might weld or solder mine permanently open and locked and then get a sheath for it.

They are apparently fairly easy to tighten up. Follow this link to see how to do it:-

http://www.opinel-musee.com/uk/couteau03.htm

............ doesn't matter if you screw it up ...... you can just spend a few bob and get a shiny new one :D !

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
They are an excellent knife for the price, they are thin-bladed, good for carving and slicing and very easy to sharpen to a shaving edge. I have carried one every day for more than twenty years, and am on my third No.8. If they become tight, then tapping the end of the handle on your heel or a stone soon loosens the knife. Keeping it in your trouser pocket helps to dry it out from body warmth. They are so cheap that you won't worry about losing or damaging it :) .
Regards,
Doug.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine gets a lot of use, though I agree with the too slack lock ring issue; check it often or it *will* bite you.
It's just such a useful knife, it takes a good edge, it keeps the edge well too, it's comfortable to use, it's a user of a knife, it is neat enough to get into small spaces, thin enough for dealing with food and yet strong enough that I have battoned with it (I know, *not* recommended, but it worked fine)
Oh, and have we mentioned that it costs buttons? :D

Cheers,
Toddy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I can't stand Opinels, I hate them with a passion. I once had three of them, but they didn't last long. They're are though, a magnificently beautiful knife and that's probably why they're in the New York Museum of Modern Art. But that still doesn't make me LIKE them.

I don't the handles. It rains a lot where I live, and even if I re-varnish the wood, they still swell up and a "Savoyard knack" won't open the damn thing.

I don't like the carbon blades. Sure, they're easy to sharpen but they rust just sitting around in your pocket and the blades are far too thin to do anything other than deep slices.

I don't trust the lock either. I've had one slip on me, I almost lost my fingers.

My favourite knife in the whole world is an SAK. It has good steel, holds a more than decent edge, and it has TOOLS on it. Something that no Opinel will ever have.

But then again, this is only my opinion. :)

Adam

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
addyb said:
I don't like the carbon blades. Sure, they're easy to sharpen but they rust just sitting around in your pocket and the blades are far too thin to do anything other than deep slices.
Alot of what you said has alot of merit, but the one thing about deep slices... I carve alot. Spoons, bear figurines, small masks, deadfalls.. even soapstone... and the Opinel is my favourite for carving. Thin blade, but easily controled. I've carved almost all of my stuff with my No. 08, because of how easily I can control the depth of the cut. Great for carving anything... except Soapstone, don't do that :lmao:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I don't want to hijack the thread but just as matter of interest and I suppose it is related (mods remove/move if necessary). What would you consider a natural progression from an Opinel i.e. the next step up on the ladder of folding knives? and why is it the next step?

................. and you're not allowed to say "take the cash and buy X more Opinels" :lmao: !

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
addyb said:
I can't stand Opinels, I hate them with a passion. I once had three of them, but they didn't last long. They're are though, a magnificently beautiful knife and that's probably why they're in the New York Museum of Modern Art. But that still doesn't make me LIKE them.

I don't the handles. It rains a lot where I live, and even if I re-varnish the wood, they still swell up and a "Savoyard knack" won't open the damn thing.

I don't trust the lock either. I've had one slip on me, I almost lost my fingers.

My favourite knife in the whole world is an SAK. It has good steel, holds a more than decent edge, and it has TOOLS on it. Something that no Opinel will ever have.

But then again, this is only my opinion. :)

Adam

I carry both and love both!! And it is very wet in England !
Chris

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
For me its got be an EKA Swede or Masur. Simple yet beutiful hardworking tools.

Mark

Beer Monster said:
I don't want to hijack the thread but just as matter of interest and I suppose it is related (mods remove/move if necessary). What would you consider a natural progression from an Opinel i.e. the next step up on the ladder of folding knives? and why is it the next step?

................. and you're not allowed to say "take the cash and buy X more Opinels" :lmao: !

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Alot of what you said has alot of merit, but the one thing about deep slices... I carve alot. Spoons, bear figurines, small masks, deadfalls.. even soapstone... and the Opinel is my favourite for carving. Thin blade, but easily controled. I've carved almost all of my stuff with my No. 08, because of how easily I can control the depth of the cut. Great for carving anything... except Soapstone, don't do that :lmao:

I hear ya, man. I don't carve though, so am I still entitled to my negative opinion and ferociously negative review? :)

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE