What is good about opinel knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I agree that swelling wood can be a problem but since I clean mine every so often with WD40, the wood seems to have become saturated with that and the swelling isn't a problem anymore.

Mostly my knife is just washed under the tap, dried on a paper towel and left in peace opened up to dry. I've used it in bogs, wet excavations, basketwork, rushwork, scraping deerskins, peeling potatoes, paring apples.......and it still works fine :D

My father used plain real turpentine on his and it seemed to do the same job that WD40 does on mine.

p.s. food doesn't taste of WD40 either :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

JDilling

Jan 9, 2007
Connecticut, USA
My major issue with Opinels is that in the Summer, when it gets hot an muggy here, the wood handles swell, and operating the blade and Brevette lock can become especially difficult. Fall winter and spring they are fine, but in the Summer no can do. Good blades, solid and simple mechanism, and good handle shape. Also, easily customizable. I own two, and like them. Like Scandanavian knives, Opinels are a good value for the money.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Besides being sharp and cheap they are also being used.
The latter being quite a contrast to all those very expensive, very shiny, very famous knives which are not used at all for fear of scratches.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE