What have you forraged lately?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got abput 12 elders full of berries in the paddock. Goint to hoik most of them out in the winter, but I think I'll save most of them for this years berry harvest :)

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
snatched a few early blackberries- ruddy great mutants they were aswell. A few rasberries and cherries in the bag too. Need to get out onto some good foraging land for some fungi methinks.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
I don't know if it counts as foraging, but I found four old files and a fischer space pen!

Z

Now then There's an interesting topic for a new thread!
"(Aside from the usual skip recce), what have you found while foraging.....?"

one of the many things I have found while foraging was an orange perry-whistle alongside a flint scraper! when aeons collide...?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Eggs, wild and dom stawberries, last of the peas - Back garden :)

Raspberries on a recent walk along with thistle down, birch bark, grasses ect for tinder bundles. Some bramble leaves for tea too.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Field mushrooms from a roadside verge (was soaked to the skin after a walk at the time, but they made it worth it), some early blackberries, and a few rasps. Also had a forage in my attic and came up with two old tents in various states of disrepair, a bag of tent pegs, a huge scouting coolbox with dish/plate set, half a fishing rod, and an enormous (10'+) keep net left in the loft by the previous tenant.

And at a car boot sale on the weekend I foraged a camping gaz stove with empty cylinder, a gelert stove with full cylinder and working ignition button, 2 aluminium mugs, a sleeping bag, a fishing rod, reel & accessories, a small anvil, some plastic tubing, a camera tripod, a fondue set with burner, and a leather wash bag.

Loads of fun.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
A nice bag of mackerel on Saturday - I even foraged the whitebait that I used to catch them.
A load of crays on Sunday and some veg from my plot.
Just eyeing up the Filberts at the moment but they're not quite ready yet.

Nick93

Dec 27, 2009
Devon, England
So far.. ramsons/wild garlic for pesto, whortleberries (bilberries) - went into some small pies with apples from the tree in my garden, thought i put my limited cooking skills to good use :), raspberries... eaten on the spot, found some wild strawberry plants and im keeping an eye out for blackberries which will again go into a pie. Also waiting for sloes and rowan berries which ill make into some jelly and try to get hold of some wild duck for it to go with. Oh and wood sorrel..

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd leave at least a couple in as elder flower and elder bery wine are amongst the best i've made/tasted!!

Been making elder wines for about thirty years. Don't mind foraging the berries and flowers, but they are nasty little weed trees with a habit of dropiing twigs and leaves all over the place - plus weed seeding all over. In a way they are like horse radish. Good stuff, but you don't want it on your land. Tlhe damsons, blackthorn, hawthorn, ash etc. can stay and maybe an elder or two where they aren't a problem, but I need to make space for cobnuts, alder, apple, pear, plum etc.

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Been making elder wines for about thirty years. Don't mind foraging the berries and flowers, but they are nasty little weed trees with a habit of dropiing twigs and leaves all over the place - plus weed seeding all over. In a way they are like horse radish. Good stuff, but you don't want it on your land. Tlhe damsons, blackthorn, hawthorn, ash etc. can stay and maybe an elder or two where they aren't a problem, but I need to make space for cobnuts, alder, apple, pear, plum etc.

sounds like a forragers wonderland!!

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Cramp balls today, found bundles and left plenty for later.
Started growing some wild food this year in the garden to speed up my identification skills. salad burrnet, angelica, borrage so on & so forth.
thinking about planting some of the carrott family next year so will soon be gathering some seeds. All due care and attention undertaken of course.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE