What have you forraged lately?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
foraged up some elderflowers a few weeks ago to make Elderflower Champagne - 21 bottles of the stuff. Just opened the first two bottles - very tasty!

Just waiting for the berries now and jam making can start!! :)

Billberries, tyrned into a pie by Mrs Hog.
bb001.jpg

bb002.jpg

bb003.jpg

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
mmm mucky mouth pie! not seen that since we moved back down south.

Wild strawberry time here! And also the hazels are looking very abundant this year......

Ruvio

Nomad
Hog, I'm really not a fan of pie. And that's one of the best looking things I've ever seen.

I picked some Damsons and wild onion yesterday while i was teaching about a million kids about nature.

As per usual, anyone local (or passing through) to central lincs, Ill happily pass on where they're located :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How do you get pine resin off your hands in the woods? I tend to be sticky with it and irritated by it for hours and am sure that there is an easy way that I don't know about

Find some dryish sandy soil, pick up a hand full of same and then scrub the resin off with it, just as if you were using a hand cleaning gel.This method tends to stop your hands being sticky and the resin just wears off with the soil.

A softer alternative, is to use dry grass but the sand/soil is by far the most effective.

This might sound a bit "old wives taley" but it's how I do it every time I'm out 'n' about.
At home; I've tried hot water and washing up liquid, soap,even meths! but you need something abrasive to get it off in my experience.

Mind you, I've got fairly leathery hands too!;)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I went out yesterday and found a whole host of goodies. I got myself a great piece of ash for a stick, then found hawthorn berries (not ripe yet) What i assume are rowan berries (also not ripe) Hazel nuts (you guessed it not ripe) and a whole stack of plum trees most of which were not ripe but then we found one tree that was getting all the sun and there were a load the WERE ripe lolknocked some down and me and my nipper scoffed the lot lol

I know what im going to be doing in about 3 weeks lol everything should be perfect for harvesting then!

Dave

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
foraging mostly just within 300' of the house, but that includes (none ready yet) elderberries, wild + domestic strawbwerries, blackberries, rowan berries and apples.
LOTS of homemade jams this year i think!

Jellytot

Apr 1, 2010
Manchester
Can we class Rhubarb from my neighbors garden?
Also a holly sapling from our local wood for the middle of my garden,
Nettles and dandelions almost daily for the bunnys as well as fresh tall flowering camomile.
The woods where we walk frodo are full of bramble in blossom at the moment and there will be lots of picking!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
foraging mostly just within 300' of the house, but that includes (none ready yet) elderberries, wild + domestic strawbwerries, blackberries, rowan berries and apples.
LOTS of homemade jams this year i think!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE