What happened to frost river?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
One of my favourite kit suppliers of all time, namely frost river reliable softgoods, seems to have gone out of business. Or have the changed their URL? Anyone knows?

If they have gone out of business I'm actually a bit sad. They were kind of unique in what they offered and how they produced it.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Checking Google gives one telltale result:

You might as well put these rugged box style packs in your Will since they ... Frost River is no longer in business. These are the last of their packs! ...
nwwoodsman.com/Product/Packs/PortagePacks.html - 21k

If you check the site you will not find further clarification but it seems that they went belly up. Damn bankers:D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Checking Google gives one telltale result:

You might as well put these rugged box style packs in your Will since they ... Frost River is no longer in business. These are the last of their packs! ...
nwwoodsman.com/Product/Packs/PortagePacks.html - 21k

If you check the site you will not find further clarification but it seems that they went belly up. Damn bankers:D

I wouldn't blame the bankers, peoples lack of sense of quality seems more likely. Who would want to pay $200 for a back pack that is hand made in natural materials when there is cheap synthetic stuff produced for slave wages in the far east?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I wouldn't blame the bankers, peoples lack of sense of quality seems more likely. Who would want to pay $200 for a back pack that is hand made in natural materials when there is cheap synthetic stuff produced for slave wages in the far east?

Hear hear, Big Swede. I used to be a banker myself and hence the smile. The problem is that we moved from a society of people being proud of what the were producing to a society that promotes consumption... Today a drugs dealer driving a Porsche has a higher perceived status than a good craftsman on a bicycle.... (same goes with crook bankers). Thus: quantity and fast turnover prevails upon quality and durability..

In reaction to that I love bushcraft, the nice stuff that we use and the fact that we're able to get stuff that is made by people that love what they're doing and are rooted in the environment they come from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE