What fuel do you like using

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
well different fuels are are preferable for different things, what did you have in mind...?

but the favories got to be good old tryed and tested wood!

Welcome to BCUK! :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
You're talking to a very friendly and knowledgable bunch of people. :biggthump

I like an open fire best. Then alcohol and finally hexitabs. I have never tried gas or other fuels than these three. Hexitabs are dirty compared to alcohol, but can be used as tinder and making fires. :wink:

Welcome to BCUK. :pack:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
i prefer an openfire when i can but otherwise i'll use a swedish army cookset thingy with methylated spirits even though the stuff stinks!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
wood, put more woond on it (insert jasper carrot clip here)

for camping I like colemans duel fuel stoves though like others going back to basic stoves seems a good option

P

pathfinder

I have just come back from a weekend camping (well, sleeping in hammocks, under a tarp, in the woods) and used with 3 different types of fuel this weekend. We used wood for the main to keep us warm and boil water, but I also used my trusty old triangia. The reason I like the triangia is it simplicity with nothing to go wrong. I did also try out my Colemans stove that I purchased early this year whilst on holiday in America, and I must say I was really impressed with the intensity/controllability of the heat. A tool to be used more often I feel.
:newbie:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I like nothing better than a wood fire

i have a meths stove that i can use inside the tent porch if i am too lazy to get out and get the fire going in the morning, yeah it stinks but it is reliable and safer than the petrol stove for inside

the petrol stove is a real heat machine tho if i can be bothered lugging it about, mostly it gets taken on cycling trips for a cuppa and not as bothered by the wind as the meths one

no need to go outrageously priced for meths or petrol stoves, a lot of older ones go for peanuts on abay, the primus type stoves are pretty indestructable too running on paraffin

not a gas cartridge fan meself but it is a personal preference thing i guess

Tant
11.gif

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
I long for the day the gulf stream changes and we get weather like that... anyone know how we can speed it up?

mmm....interesting idea, i think we may have to wait a few millenia for that :eek:): :shock: !

Swedish Trangia! so therefore meths. Love open fires though.. :chill: ..

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi and welcome mate;
I use only open fire and love the birch tree wood.
I could sing a song about that wonderful tree. You can drink from it, fix yourself some food from the inner bark, take the outer bark as the best fire starter even in rain. And it gives a lot of head. Not to forget that the tree is fast growing.
cheers
Abbe

:chill:

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Abbe Osram said:
Hi and welcome mate;
I use only open fire and love the birch tree wood.
I could sing a song about that wonderful tree. You can drink from it, fix yourself some food from the inner bark, take the outer bark as the best fire starter even in rain. And it gives a lot of head. Not to forget that the tree is fast growing.
cheers
Abbe

:chill:

Ive got to agree about the birch being a favourite tree, all of the above plus its great for carving.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
hobbitboy said:
mmm....interesting idea, i think we may have to wait a few millenia for that :eek:): :shock: !

I've global warming continues, it's expected that the gulf stream will move and the uk will get a lot colder. It would be much harder to move it back again then it would be to move it in the first place.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Woodfire for me too. Never really used anything other than...

Welcome!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
wood first but when car camping I really like my coleman double petrol burner great stove but by no means portable.

Bill

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
global warming continues, it's expected that the gulf stream will move and the uk will get a lot colder. It would be much harder to move it back again then it would be to move it in the first place.

mmm.....unsure. I hope your wrong, cause otherwise my essay I've just handed in is wrong :yikes: as the general consensus seemed to point towards a milder Biritain in the short term, so naturally I talked about that C'est la vie...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whats the worst that could happen?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE