What do you want in an outdoors shirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Made myself this so version two is going to the customising but would like to hear ideas on what to add.
For instance this shirt is for camping outside during summer (or now to Sept) so long or short sleeves, zipped pockets, buttoned or, as in this version, brass fasteners?
Love to hear any suggestions!
vuzu3uza.jpg
tu8yvymu.jpg

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Very nice shirt mate!

I like long sleeves, which can always be rolled up if you get to hot
The pockets like yours
A cotton flannel type fabric
Not to be noisy- which is one of the perks of the cotton

That's about it really, I really like yours! :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
My personal view, and one that is unlikely to be shared by many on here, is that I don't like pockets on shirts. Or rather, pockets on shirts are invariably in the wrong place. Breast pockets, are exactly that, pockets on the breast area. Which is awkward, and mean you can't get that much in them, or I end up unable to see my feet...

Kangaroo pockets invariably end up exactly where my backpack waist strap goes, rendering them useless...

I do tend to prefer long sleeves, as I can always roll them up, but there is usually a small slit behind the cuff on the forearm for which stinging nettles have spent many millennia evolving the ability to seek out and sting...

Currently, in summer I wear a German army shirt that has been dyed black (I bought it that colour), I tend to wear it as an over shirt, rather than an actual shirt, usually with a strappy top or t-shirt underneath. As long as I don't do it up, I can put small things in the pockets, but if I bend over they do all fall out...

But, having said all this, I have a very different body shape to you (assuming that's you in the picture), and my requirements for clothing are fundamentally different from your own...

I have pondered the idea of a shirt with a pocket on the upper sleeve that is the right size for a small IDF dressing...

Julia

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Nice shirt. If I can only carry one shirt then I want one with long sleeves because you can always roll those up whereas you can't roll short sleeves down. I dislike chest pockets, they really don't work on a female figure. I like a soft cotton fabric or linen in really hot weather. Unstiffened collar that can be buttoned right up for warmth.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The other thing I forgot to mention, something I would love in a shirt (as yet unfound), quick drying. Ideally the sort of thing I could wash before bed, hang on the ridge line of my basha, and it be dry enough to wear in the morning, while still being nettle proof...

J

The other thing I forgot to mention, something I would love in a shirt (as yet unfound), quick drying. Ideally the sort of thing I could wash before bed, hang on the ridge line of my basha, and it be dry enough to wear in the morning, while still being nettle proof...

What sort of material? I have some mesh but that might be a bit too 'gay bar', this cotton is thin but what about making it from an old travel towel? Should it be water resistant or quick drying?
Which garment do you have that has the most versatile material? Anyone know if you can buy ventile off a roll?
Like the button up collar idea...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My personal view, and one that is unlikely to be shared by many on here, is that I don't like pockets on shirts. Or rather, pockets on shirts are invariably in the wrong place. Breast pockets, are exactly that, pockets on the breast area. Which is awkward, and mean you can't get that much in them, or I end up unable to see my feet...

Kangaroo pockets invariably end up exactly where my backpack waist strap goes, rendering them useless...

I do tend to prefer long sleeves, as I can always roll them up, but there is usually a small slit behind the cuff on the forearm for which stinging nettles have spent many millennia evolving the ability to seek out and sting...

Currently, in summer I wear a German army shirt that has been dyed black (I bought it that colour), I tend to wear it as an over shirt, rather than an actual shirt, usually with a strappy top or t-shirt underneath. As long as I don't do it up, I can put small things in the pockets, but if I bend over they do all fall out...

But, having said all this, I have a very different body shape to you (assuming that's you in the picture), and my requirements for clothing are fundamentally different from your own...

I have pondered the idea of a shirt with a pocket on the upper sleeve that is the right size for a small IDF dressing...

Julia

Yeah, you don't typically see functional chest pockets on ladies garments, for a reason. I like sleeve pockets, usually for field dressing or compass, nothing to heavy or it gets annoying.

As for quick drying, look up the collection Leno from acorn fabrics. Otherwise get some poly/cotton blends or just pure poly. A coolmax (which a type poly fibre) shirt dries easily overnight.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My work shirts are North Face ones. Long sleeves, mesh ventilation under the shoulder flap, UV protecting, easy wash and dry, non iron :D, button right up to deflect sunshine, insects, pouring rain :rolleyes: and long enough to cover the archaeologist's a....backside :) a secure, fine, chest pocket (car keys/wallet)and sleeve tabs to keep rolled up sleeves up. Button placket and side gussets at the hem.
I know chest pockets can be a pain on females, but I need them as somewhere to stow small stuff safely and clean. It's the position that matters on a large bust :eek: or at least the position where the bulk/weight sits that's the issue with most of them.
I buy the men's XL size and the base of the pockets is nearly at my waist.

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Admirable sewing and making skills there; for Summer I'd have something very like that but with long sleeves and made in a good linen, a little longer with vents at either side of the hem and a mandarin-style collar. For Winter, I'd have exactly the same but cut slightly larger and made with a good quality wool shirting material.

Can I place an order for a dozen of each please, half of each in a nice sand colour and the other half of each in OD? :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Long sleeves are a must. Chest pockets are a must for me. Summer shirts need a light weight and high UV protection. They need a strap inside the arm to secure the rolled up sleeve. They must be longer than a fashion shirt (covering the ar**). The slit between the arm and cuff must button close.

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Long sleeves, sun protection, tough and light-middle weight. Pockets are for trousers or packs,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

I also prefer long sleeves that can roll up - I would never consider a normal button-up type of shirt with short sleeves.

I really like my 5.11 Tactical shirts, especially the big pockets behind the normal patch pockets. If anything, discrete vertical zips on those might be better than the Velcro closures they have (although Velcro is easier to fix than a busted zip).

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
Impressive needlework there mate; I spent a good deal of time in a South American jungle wearing a long sleeve Paramo Katmai long sleeve shirt.

Apart from being a bit 'clammy' due to a combination of the nylon material and grotesquely high humidity, it was great. Had lots of the features people have already mentioned:
+Long enough to not come un-tucked when bending/climing stuff,
+Closely spaced shirt buttons to keep out various nasties,
+Dried(ish) overnight, decent sized chest pockets for a compass and stationary etc,
+Velcro wrist adjustment- tighten down to keep beasties out, loosen off to the right diameter to keep the sleeves rolled up.

Obviously, the need to keep hungry invertebrates out is slightly less important here in the UK and I'm not sure how the Velcro will fare long term; the shirt is verging on technical overkill and isn't very subtle in blue check aaand at £60, it's not the cheapest thing on the planet.. BUT, it fits me well and is more fashionable than a T-Shirt :lmao:

Yep I have a Katmai shirt, I'm thinking of taking the features from that, a Craghoppers shirt and the Rohan vents.
Got some samples today from Acorn in the mesh Leno fabric which looks very useful as a base layer and some bamboo/linen fabric which looks best.
I'm listing all the suggestions from here!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Light, Non iron, Quick Drying, No pockets (never use them on a shirt), UV blocking with a decent collar, short sleeve (I only end up rolling them up anyway). Nice length to them to wear untucked. Vented underarm. Covered buttons to prevent snags. Hanging point for drying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE