What do you want in an outdoors shirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Light, Non iron, Quick Drying, No pockets (never use them on a shirt), UV blocking with a decent collar, short sleeve (I only end up rolling them up anyway). Nice length to them to wear untucked. Vented underarm. Covered buttons to prevent snags. Hanging point for drying.

Hate to be that guy, but non-iron cotton shirts contain a lot of nasty chemicals. You can increase creasing resistance by adding synthetic fibre. Which incidentally also reduces drying time, and wear resistance.

I'm with you on the covered buttons, or more correctly hidden buttoning. Or fly front. Covered buttons usually denotes buttons covered with cloth, fabric or leather. I think this is vital for pockets as well (if you want them that is).

I can't understand what's with the RTW industry as mens wear starting to get shorter and shorter, today you see skinny pants with the cuff above the ankle, lounge coats ending almost over the bum, and coat pockets above the waistline, shirts which are impossible to tuck in because the ride up all the time, ugly and impractical. A decent shirt should go at least to the groin in front and right beneath the bum in the back. It makes it easier to wear both untucked and tucked.

To increase the shirts life I would like to have epaulettes (reduces wear from backpack straps) or a reinforcing fabric over the yoke (which should extend over the forepart, also lessens the problem with chaffing from the shoulder seam). I would also like bar tacks at the usual stress points (something which is usually lacking in the lower end of the price spectrum).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hate to be that guy, but non-iron cotton shirts contain a lot of nasty chemicals. You can increase creasing resistance by adding synthetic fibre. Which incidentally also reduces drying time, and wear resistance.

I never said it had to be cotton :D

I'm with you on the covered buttons, or more correctly hidden buttoning. Or fly front. Covered buttons usually denotes buttons covered with cloth, fabric or leather. I think this is vital for pockets as well (if you want them that is).

Don't mind how they're covered - A fold of fabric stiched at intervals to stop it flapping open.

I can't understand what's with the RTW industry as mens wear starting to get shorter and shorter, today you see skinny pants with the cuff above the ankle, lounge coats ending almost over the bum, and coat pockets above the waistline, shirts which are impossible to tuck in because the ride up all the time, ugly and impractical. A decent shirt should go at least to the groin in front and right beneath the bum in the back. It makes it easier to wear both untucked and tucked.

We're getting older... we value practical over fashionable.

To increase the shirts life I would like to have epaulettes (reduces wear from backpack straps) or a reinforcing fabric over the yoke (which should extend over the forepart, also lessens the problem with chaffing from the shoulder seam). I would also like bar tacks at the usual stress points (something which is usually lacking in the lower end of the price spectrum).

I hate epaulettes (snaggy) but with you on the reinforced yoke as long as it aint sweaty.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I never said it had to be cotton :D

Don't mind how they're covered - A fold of fabric stiched at intervals to stop it flapping open.

We're getting older... we value practical over fashionable.

I hate epaulettes (snaggy) but with you on the reinforced yoke as long as it aint sweaty.

I know you did'nt say cotton, just wanted to mention it, because non-iron shirts are often treated cotton.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Yep I have a Katmai shirt, I'm thinking of taking the features from that, a Craghoppers shirt and the Rohan vents.
Got some samples today from Acorn in the mesh Leno fabric which looks very useful as a base layer and some bamboo/linen fabric which looks best.
I'm listing all the suggestions from here!

Hehe, yeah they're good, Acorn, aren't they? I would not use the bahamas collection on a bush shirt for a number of reasons. Mostly because the 'bamboo' fibre is really just a rayon/viscose fibre. Which has terrible wear properties. Maybe for lounging by the pool, not for the bush.

J

janeleonard

Outdoor shirts should be the coolest clothing with more freaky styles and something that can make one crazy with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE