what do you use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Bowler

Dec 31, 2008
Cheshire UK
I have cross posted on other forums hope you don't mind
Ok just wondering what you guys out there use for shed/workshop lighting .anyone got solar or LED lights in the workshop,Im thinking LED if I can get it bright enough

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I had a seperate main line run to my shed for lighting and sockets:
110411gardenandshed4.jpg

Mains PIR on the outside too:
110411gardenandshed2.jpg

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I'd like to build an Alan Partridge style chandelier, constructed from an old bicycle wheel and loads of rubber coated torches from Poundland :)

But my shed is so small I would hit my head on it all the time:(

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've seen led down lighters in shed / workshop but I was'nt impressed. The led's were to focused to give a good ambient light. I have fluorescent lighting, good light and economical.
Colin.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I'm a sparky by trade and have a little solar car battery saver panel keeping a gel battery charged which then powers a caravan 12V flourescent, I have however been thinking of replacing it with one of these: http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/produ...050-flexible-led-strip-light-1-metre-60-led-s
I have fitted them as undercabinet lighting in a couple of places and am pretty impressed with the amount of light they kick out.
Colin
I've got no connection with the firm I've just bought stuff from them Etc:)

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Nothing but admiration I live in a flat on the second/top floor my workshop is the settee. However we are buying the large loft & when converted I might have a work room with LED's

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have cross posted on other forums hope you don't mind
Ok just wondering what you guys out there use for shed/workshop lighting .anyone got solar or LED lights in the workshop,Im thinking LED if I can get it bright enough

You can certainly get bright LED lighting but I'm not sure about the colour, and the way they cast shadows, and I don't know if the longevity is proven yet which might be an issue considering some of the prices. My personal choice for workshop lighting when I need bright light to work close on things is 240V halogen floods. You can get them for a few quid from the likes of Aldi. Last time they did an offer I bought a dozen. The halogen bulbs don't last very well (especially if you have them switch on and off with a PIR detector) so I keep spare bulbs. They give a good white light. I have at least one on a PIR so I don't have to fumble around in the dark for the light switch unless the bulb has blown. A pull cord switch mounted on the ceiling is generally easier to find than a rocker switch on the wall and you don't have to worry so much if you're soaking wet. Don't handle the glass envelopes on halogen lamps, the grease from your fingers will create hot spots which make the lamp fail quicker. I use fluorescents for most other work but I don't care much for the quality of the light.

Solar powered lighting will be expensive, it will be a lot of bother, and it won't give you a lot of light for a long time but it can sort of work if you can live with the limitations. If you can run a cable out to the shed -- even if it's just a roll-up extension lead -- you have much more choice.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
LED's are coming on in leaps and bounds and although they did used to be quite "cold" light wise they are now much better and quite "warm" looking.
Colin

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
have a little solar car battery saver panel keeping a gel battery charged which then powers a caravan 12V flourescent

i've been thinking about something like this for a while, and was considering running a permanant line out to my workshed as i'm tired of running an extension cable out there, but that is a brilliant idea!!.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Depends on the size of your shed of course but a couple of these 10W LEDs from the link that dean4442 put up would do ya I reckon, equal to 100W Halogen, 900 lumens and with a colour temp of 5000-6000K, 20W running off 12v ain't gonna cost alot to run at all.

http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/produ...oodlight-work-light-in-day-white-100w-halogen

They do much higher but then the price rockets at the same time.

As soon as the prices become reasonable for the GU10 & B22 LED bulbs I'll be replacing all the household lighting, just too pricey atm.

Si

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Watch fluorescent lighting with drill stands and a lathe as it can strobe and give you a whopper of a headache. I learnt from my late dad (an engineer) who always had an additional bulb type light over the lathe.
I find an old type bulb (thank heavens for poundland) works better when MIG welding as well ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE