What do you think of this? Alan Wood custom?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I think it's very nice to look at and I'm sure it's an extremely good quality knife.

But...

I don't particularly like the shape of the blade from a practical point of view. I prefer the 'Woodlore' spear-point shape of blade for fine work and carving whereas this looks suited to light chopping for which I use an axe. Also I think the inward curve about an inch from the handle would cause me grief when sharpening.

If you know how to properly sharpen it and prefer to use a knife with that shape blade then it's a good buy.

Oh, and you do realise that it's been sold don't you? :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I don't like the recurve on the knife of this size. IIRC the knife Martyn had made by alan has a slight recurve to it so that may be the origins of this design as it looks more similar to that then the Ray Mears design.
I don't find recurves difficult to sharpen but find that it takes more time and a field touch up is more hassel then it's worth.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Why would someone need a recurve on a knife? Is there any kind of advantage to having a recurve on a blade? In any situation not just bushcraft..?

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
Andy said:
...IIRC the knife Martyn had made by alan has a slight recurve to it

No recurve on mine Andy.

No question a recurve IS more difficult to get a totally consistent edge on the whole cutting edge though. In a fit of frustration, and in my pre-'Sharpmaker' days I've used an IKEA ceramic steel (recommended :) ) on a Khukri before now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE