What do you make of this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
The following is an email response from the forestry commission in my area. While im not condoning wild camping, I just would like to share with you what this particular response was about me querying wild camping rules in the area

----------------------------------------------

Dont camp in the forest please James, its naughty and you will get in trouble.
Regards
Forestry Commision

Ive now deleted all the contact details of this person and addresses that were originally here :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks like you've stuck gold fella, the response five or six years ago was very different when I tried. It also looks like you've happened upon a decent ranger too.

I'd print off the email and get it laminated :) Stick it in your pack in case anybody tries giving you a hard time.

(It might best to delete the locations off your thread too, you don't want a guest viewer wrecking the place before you get there, it has happened)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Im still a bit taken back at how hes kinda...gone again his 'role' to be nice. I dont know. Definatley an email for the 'save' folder tho! :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It might be an idea to invite him along for a brew one day if he's local, show him what you're up to and that you're not wrecking his woods.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Superb, someone at the FC with some common sense, yep, keep that email, make some hard copies to.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I wonder if the method and the way you asked made a difference, to his reply, it would be interesting to know how you approached the gent, the same approach in other areas may well help to get the same response.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've had the same verbal response from countryside rangers local to me, getting it in writing is something else all together though. if you're planning on printing and laminating a copy (for obvious reasons) it would probably be polite to inform the author first, just to make sure you're not going to get him into trouble at all should you end up having to show the e-mail to other wardens

greensurfingbear

Please please please don't copy the email and use it to validate your camping. As a Ranger myself I pretty much give the same line. While I turn a blind eye to sensible wild campers the official line is no camping. Don't put the poor Chap/ lady on the spot with the managers!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Please please please don't copy the email and use it to validate your camping. As a Ranger myself I pretty much give the same line. While I turn a blind eye to sensible wild campers the official line is no camping. Don't put the poor Chap/ lady on the spot with the managers!

That's a good point

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

that was kinda my thinking with my previous post, it'd be terrible to get the "decent" rangers sacked

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire

+1 to that.

As the man said, It's illegal. If you get caught; tough! Waving a laminated slip of paper about & giving it blah, blah, blah, will only work against you, and everybody else.

Very good of the bloke to tip you the wink, but leave it at that.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I think you'll find there are many rangers out there who will say the same. After all we get into the job got our passion for the outdoors so want people to enjoy it to.

sorry mate, i hope you didn't think my...."decent" ranger.....comment was implying that most aren't, i was just kinda saying that this one is obviously a decent sort of bloke and it's only right to act decently in return. i hope i didn't offend

stuart

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
+1 to that.

As the man said, It's illegal. If you get caught; tough! Waving a laminated slip of paper about & giving it blah, blah, blah, will only work against you, and everybody else.

Very good of the bloke to tip you the wink, but leave it at that.

What he said :)

The person gave you a hint off the record, not a wild camping pass ;)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland

totally agree............... unless its orric giving you the permission (the swines off to oz)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's a great reply to get but I don't think I would personally post it on the internet for all to see! Just my opinion of course...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE