foraging laws for Great-Britain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
here is some useful knowledge that is worth sharing

whether you are out camping or want for save money and eat healthier than store bought chemical ridden processed foods or homeless or some disaster happen be prepared with the [UK] law on foraging
for england and wales only
Section 4 (Property) of the Theft Act (1968)

(2)A person cannot steal land, or things forming part of land and severed from it by him or by his directions, except in the following cases, that is to say—
3)A person who picks mushrooms growing wild on any land, or who picks flowers, fruit or foliage from a plant growing wild on any land, does not (although not in possession of the land) steal what he picks, unless he does it for reward or for sale or other commercial purpose.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/4
for best read the full article here for vast knowledge with more links for the law at https://britishlocalfood.com/foraging-british-law/
for scotland
Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2003/2/pdfs/asp_20030002_en.pdf
Please >note that in Scotland, the universal “right to roam” is enshrined in law and codified into the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. This permits the use of all land, public or private, for recreation, education and access with just a few restrictions. Those access rights are only granted if exercised responsibly.
with caveats as mentioned in the article

plus check the area you wish for camping or as above for restrictions

right to roam england and wales
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/use-your-right-to-roam

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, all very good but:

- beware of the laws of trespass and what you carry onto the land (a fixed blade knife for example, without permission, may be classified as armed trespass)
- we live on an island with nearly 70 million people; if we all descended on the countryside to forage there would be no wild plants or fungi fruit bodies.
- most valuable foodstuff is in the roots of many plants and it is illegal to uproot a wild plant
- even if it is legal to gather a wild plant bare in mind that the land owner/manager may have left that plant on purpose for conservation purposes

Reactions: knowledge=gain

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
As a land owner of a number of years I've never had anyone ask permission to forage on my land. I don't mean someone grovelling to Lord of the manor (well run down bungalow) but no one has ever expressed an interest where I can say try this and that. For exampe, we get a good crop of parasol mushrooms each year and I've never tried them, I would be more than happy to show them to someone who's asked permission. We also get a good crop of slows and various other bits and bobs.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

The elderflower harvest sees pickers throughout Leicestershire having at the crop with abandon. I very much doubt they ask permission from the landowners as they stuff their bin bags full.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Yep, all very good but:

- beware of the laws of trespass and what you carry onto the land (a fixed blade knife for example, without permission, may be classified as armed trespass)
- we live on an island with nearly 70 million people; if we all descended on the countryside to forage there would be no wild plants or fungi fruit bodies.
- most valuable foodstuff is in the roots of many plants and it is illegal to uproot a wild plant
- even if it is legal to gather a wild plant bare in mind that the land owner/manager may have left that plant on purpose for conservation purposes
thank you it is always useful for any added knowledge
The other thing to add to Broch's comment is that certain areas have a strict ban on foraging, Epping forest being a prime example of this.
thank you nice to know
As a land owner of a number of years I've never had anyone ask permission to forage on my land. I don't mean someone grovelling to Lord of the manor (well run down bungalow) but no one has ever expressed an interest where I can say try this and that. For exampe, we get a good crop of parasol mushrooms each year and I've never tried them, I would be more than happy to show them to someone who's asked permission. We also get a good crop of slows and various other bits and bobs.
i would gladly seek your permission if i were to know it being your land

The elderflower harvest sees pickers throughout Leicestershire having at the crop with abandon. I very much doubt they ask permission from the landowners as they stuff their bin bags full.
thank you i guess many may be wine makers...??

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england

IS IT LEGAL TO CAMP IN UK ENGLAND & WALES? | Right to Roam Laws | Countryside and Rights of Way Act​

Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000​

section 2 right to access land subsection 1

2Rights of public in relation to access land.​

(1)Any person is entitled by virtue of this subsection to enter and remain on any access land for the purposes of open-air recreation, if and so long as—

(a)he does so without breaking or damaging any wall, fence, hedge, stile or gate, and

(b)he observes the general restrictions in Schedule 2 and any other restrictions imposed in relation to the land under Chapter II.

(2)Subsection (1) has effect subject to subsections (3) and (4) and to the provisions of Chapter II.

(3)Subsection (1) does not entitle a person to enter or be on any land, or do anything on any land, in contravention of any [F1relevant statutory prohibition] .

[F2(3A)In subsection (3) “relevant statutory prohibition” means—

(a)in the case of land which is coastal margin, a prohibition contained in or having effect under any enactment, and

(b)in any other case, a prohibition contained in or having effect under any enactment other than an enactment contained in a local or private Act.]

(4)If a person becomes a trespasser on any access land by failing to comply with—

(a)subsection (1)(a),

(b)the general restrictions in Schedule 2, or

(c)any other restrictions imposed in relation to the land under Chapter II,

he may not, within 72 hours after leaving that land, exercise his right under subsection (1) to enter that land again or to enter other land in the same ownership.

(5)In this section “owner”, in relation to any land which is subject to a farm business tenancy within the meaning of the M1Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995 or a tenancy to which the M2Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 applies, means the tenant under that tenancy, and “ownership” shall be construed accordingly.

CAMPING for beginners | Ep 01 | Is Wild Camping ILLEGAL in the UK ?​

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE