What do you hang your hammock up with?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OutdoorNewbie

Mar 18, 2006
Sittingbourne
What do you use to hang you hammock up with? I have a DD Hammock with approx 4m each end of webbing, not used the hammock yet but this doesn't seem alot and was thinking of changing it.

Regards

Darren

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
I have a DD hammock with probably the same tapes as yours OutdoorNewbie. Mine stretched quite a bit on the first few uses , so much so that I ended up on the grass in the morning!!
They still stretch every time I use it but the hammock only drops a foot or so

Ive got some 550 paracord coming, so that should be strong enough as I am only 11 stone.

Bit worried about it cutting into the tree though, does anyone have a solution for that?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
you don't really want to be using paracord... the load rating is static meaning that if you bounce, the load you place on the cord will increase... if you need very thin and light cord, try chandlry (boating) shops or use webbing... sagging is more fun than falling :D

I got my webbing from halfords... they do long roof rack tiedowns in store cheap... I just removed the dodgy die cast clips... 2 x 5m is plenty for my needs.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I use 4m "tree huggers" which are webbing tape which came with my BushKit Pro Pod (it's kinda like a 5cm wide seatbelt).
Wrap around the tree once and put through the adjustable buckle, just clip krab from the hammock onto it.. blooming marvellous... i find it a bit long but it's good to have the extra on it if you need to string it further apart.

Don't think they make them any more though :(
The tape and buckle bit must be available from somewhere tho..

Cheers
Carlo

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I'm a big fan of sky hooks, they are great for when you can find two trees the right distance apart.

:rolleyes: Yea you can knock them in with your glass hammer aswell lol.

I use nylon tape that can be found at any B&Q type of place. When i have the luxary of a canoe to cary extra gear i use the same rachet straps i use to tie down the canoe as they are perfect for adjusting when they stretch :).

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use a storm lashing strap from an army 12x12 tent! Found one surplus to requirements just before leaving the forces that got unexplanedly stuck to my hand and wouldn't release until I put my hand into my pocket! Dunno what happened there!:rolleyes:

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
I use a storm lashing strap from an army 12x12 tent! Found one surplus to requirements just before leaving the forces that got unexplanedly stuck to my hand and wouldn't release until I put my hand into my pocket! Dunno what happened there!:rolleyes:

bit bulky though arnt they ? - you mean the 6 inch wide strapping with wooden seperators on the ends ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
bit bulky though arnt they ? - you mean the 6 inch wide strapping with wooden seperators on the ends ?

No, there is also a half inch wide nylon webbing storm lashing, I think there are three per tent, with a mad shaped piece of metal that nobody knows how to use!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
OutdoorNewbie I probably have the same DD hammock as you, the "DD Camping Hammock", I think the webbing/rope that came with it is really good and has done the job for the few times I have used it so far. I notice there are conflicting statements about the length of webbing that comes with it though, on the stuff-sack the hammock comes in it says 10m of webbing built in and the first thing I though was; this isnt 10m is it? I havent measured it exactly, but I notice there website now states 8m. I think the built-in webbing is great because it is thick, strap-like, I remember the first time I pitched my new hammock it was on a big old pine tree with real-rough bark, I loved how the friction/traction between the webbing and the bark will have infact held a lot of the load, taking it off the knots.

I just notice DD sell additional webbing on its own:
webbing.jpg

£8 for 10 meters of webbing plus small stuff sack

£30 for 50m of Webbing (5x 10m, plus stuff sacks)

£55 for 100m of Webbing (10x 10m, plus 10 stuff sacks)

http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/index.htm Maybe a group buy? :lmao:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
if you are quick, aldi are still selling a 12 piece ratchet set for £4.99, two 25mm x 5m long with hooks and ratchets 25mm x 2.5 m with buckles, both are marked up as 75 daN but I sure that is before the ratchet fails, and not the strenght of the webbing strap (plus 8 elastic shock cord type things with hooks, you know the ones, they look like the hooks would whip out an eye soon as look at you) I'm sure that the ratchet could be removed quite simply.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
if you are quick, aldi are still selling a 12 piece ratchet set for £4.99, two 25mm x 5m long with hooks and ratchets 25mm x 2.5 m with buckles, both are marked up as 75 daN but I sure that is before the ratchet fails, and not the strenght of the webbing strap (plus 8 elastic shock cord type things with hooks, you know the ones, they look like the hooks would whip out an eye soon as look at you) I'm sure that the ratchet could be removed quite simply.

Bungies

I got a set on saturday . The rachets come off, but one of the longer straps has a metal hook sewn into the end you'd want to remove.

The straps are quite strong, i was using one to drag half ton trunks around.

ALdi also had in leather welders approns, so i got one of them ( to use while carving more than anything )

OutdoorNewbie

Mar 18, 2006
Sittingbourne
Thanks for all your responses, I think I'm going to give the webbing that came with the Hammock ago first off and see how far it stretches over night. There are also a lot of other good ideas thanks that I will look at trying if it all goes Pete Tong (as it normally does).

Regards

Darren

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I recommended my friend to a DD-Hammock, I bought one myself from outdoorcode, but when he bought one recently from DD-Hammocks it seems like they chucked in an additional set of webbing (the one I showed previous in the pic) so it looks like he got an extra £8 worth of webbing free the lucky git!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE