What do you do for water when your out ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
hi guys, just wondering what you do for water when your away camping etc.
last time i went away i took 2 2l bottles of water(which was daft because i didnt even finish 1 !) i think next time ill just take my 1l canteen. and get water as needed.

also what purification methods do you use ?

i was always told to get water from a fast flowing stream/small waterfall, then boil it.
but i was given one of the survival boxes with purification tablets in it, do any of you guys use them ?

cheers
david

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Where I trek there is water most everywhere, but I still carry 2-1.5lt water containers along with a ceramic/mechanical water purifyier.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i use a milbank fliter and then boil
or a per mac fliter and vitamen c tablets (takes the taste away)
if on the move-
or am being lazy :)
the survival kits ones are like drinking the swimming baths :yuck:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Carry 2ltrs and a couple of Lucozade flat sports drink, easy to dilute into water. That's a days walking water.

Hillwalking for the above. But camping I tend to be near a stream anyway. Never use filters etc. As I'm always high camping with clean water.

Nick

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like to filter then boil aswell, but I do also carry an Iodine filter straw which is good for about 40lts according to the info/instructions, although I like to just keep it at 30lts per straw to be on the safe side!

But I only use that if I can find a nice clear and bright water source.

For base camps I have a couple of different sized water containers, I have a 25lt solid plastic jerrycan, I have a collapseable 5lt container, I have a 10lt solar shower which I sometimes use and I also carry two 1lt British Army water bottles on my belt kit!

Obviously I don't use all of these together:)

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
If I am in an area I know I would take it directly from the stream, if I am high and dry then probably do the same depending on how it looked. If I had just a little doubt I would use the SODIS method.
If theres more doubt I would use a mill bag then boil.

Although I would like to get into the habit of soaking up dew.

Edited to add, I am probably too much of a risk taker.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Most every stream, river, or spring here in North America is contaminated by some sort of bacteria or "bugs". It doesn't matter how pure the stream looks, how far away from civilization you are, or how high up in the mountains, the bad "bugs" are in the water. Even the springs bubbling up out of the ground have stuff in them. Giardia is one of the nasty ones, and it is spread by animals - like beaver, muskrat, mink, racoon, etc. It takes months to recover from.

Growing up I drank from whatever creek/river was handy, and always from the spring by the house, but not any more. I either bring along all the water I need, or use a filter - the hand pump type. Katydine (not quite sure of my spelling) is a pretty good one, and available at most of the sporting goods stores around here. Wrapping the feeder tube in one of those disposable coffee filters helps extend the life of the internal filter components. And this type of water filter removes most everything, so you don't have to add anything to the filtered water or boil it before you drink it.

Unfortunately, the "bugs" are out there. So it's always a matter of "chance" if you decide to risk drinking un-filtered/boiled/treated water. In a life-or-death situation, you drink the water - so that you will survive, and then deal with any ... after effects.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Excuse me diving in on your thread David.
I'm guessing that this thread will answer what the most popular system is ( but popular might not be the latest or best), are there any recommendations for a good water filter system. Reasonably priced and the ability to service it at home with ease would be helpful.
I was tending towards a Milbank and boiling, but if theres something out there that would take care of most eventualities, you never know.....

Cheers all

Ogri the trog

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Mike Ameling said:
Most every stream, river, or spring here in North America is contaminated by some sort of bacteria or "bugs". It doesn't matter how pure the stream looks, how far away from civilization you are, or how high up in the mountains, the bad "bugs" are in the water. Even the springs bubbling up out of the ground have stuff in them. Giardia is one of the nasty ones, and it is spread by animals - like beaver, muskrat, mink, racoon, etc. It takes months to recover from.

Growing up I drank from whatever creek/river was handy, and always from the spring by the house, but not any more. I either bring along all the water I need, or use a filter - the hand pump type. Katydine (not quite sure of my spelling) is a pretty good one, and available at most of the sporting goods stores around here. Wrapping the feeder tube in one of those disposable coffee filters helps extend the life of the internal filter components. And this type of water filter removes most everything, so you don't have to add anything to the filtered water or boil it before you drink it.

Unfortunately, the "bugs" are out there. So it's always a matter of "chance" if you decide to risk drinking un-filtered/boiled/treated water. In a life-or-death situation, you drink the water - so that you will survive, and then deal with any ... after effects.

Just my humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

I'm with you 100%. My parents still drink from the mountain streams, but I think they're crazy. You can never, ever, ever tell me that you know for 100% certain that there isn't a carcass upstream from you, or some jackass washing his dishes or whatever. It may be different elsewhere, but our remote places are remote and if you end up with the trots (or worse) you could be in for a world of hurt. Why take the risk of having to try to get SAR out there just because you were trying to be an old-school mountain man?

Katadyn makes good units and I see lots of them out there. I use an MSR MIOX, and my friends a MiniWorks. Pretty much any unit by MSR will do the trick for you, it's just a matter of how much water you want to pump; smaller units move less water and are better for smaller groups.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
maybe im silly but i hardly ever do anything to my water at night i might make tea but mostly just drink it iv never got ill and i do this all the time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE