what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
For just a days bimble

These in my pockets/belt
DayHikeKit.jpg

This slung over my shoulder
DayHikeKit1.jpg

This stuff for a brew (its in a small pouch now not the hard box)
DayHikeKit2.jpg

This for water and brews
DayHikeKit3.jpg

This, either in my bag or pocke/belt depending
DayHikeKit4.jpg

All together now
DayHikeKit5.jpg

Thats what i take for a days bimble, minus food - usually something dried i can boil up. normally have a spare bottle water in my bag. Sometimes i leave the tatonka billy out and just take the burner if im just walking and want a brew and a sandwich, then i use the sigg cup instead. Somtime i take a tarp, but then i tend to use a backpack

if its for a few nights then that lot, plus sleep gear, plus tarp, pluss hammock, plus more food, plus more water, plus dry socks and spare jumper

thats it really, i hate lugging loads about

p.s. the water bottle now looks like this
BottleCover1Small.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I hate to tell you but your knife has dropped out of its sheath. ;)

Interesting kits. Some old school stuff too. I'm into the latest gear and as little of it as possible. Cue comments like all the gear, no idea. Not me I am really into the less is more as far as gear goes. Multi use. A buff is a bandage, hat, neckkerchief, brow mop for when you are sweating, dishcloth for your pots, balaclava. A pot is a mug and a bowl. A spoon is a fork and a knife. A knife is a multi-tool. A bottle is a water collection and storage device. I've even heard of a ss bottle being used as a kettle too. A firm believer in KISS. On a days walk you just need to be comfortable, fed and watered. In summer you can leave waterproofs behind if warm enough. Afterall you can always get home or get changed once back at the car. In the UK you are never far from sources of help if you find you have not taken something you need.

phone and a wallet with money for the pub :D

remember unless on private land your knives/Sharps must be S139 compatable ie non locking folder .. Yadda Yadda Yadda :D

Just in case isnt good enough

If im needing a day bag i just Zip off the medic pouch of my Bergan its set up as a stand alone day set with the yoke fitted and has the crusader bottle cup cooker set plus a few rats, brew kit, Binos knives KFS lots of stuff really

then zips back to the other side pouch for a Hammock and Hobo stove set

and all back onto the bergan for the full kit

all complimentary and scalable

tho still working soem details out

ATB

Duncan

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
A lot of it depends on where you're going and for how long, in the woods thats not bad, couple of comments. If you're after water in a hurry ditch the millbank bag for something lighter and more effective like a fine mesh/polar pure combi or a premac filter. Single snare is pretty much useless if you really need food so I'd increase the number of them, unless you're walking all night you won't need that many batteries so that would save weight. Brew pot/mug? Can't see a whistle. For a day in the woods its not bad, for somewhere a bit more remote I'd want to make it a tad more robust, trying to find materials for fire making in some parts of dartmoor can be "fun".

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For just a few hours -> most of a days ramble? Knife, SAK in pocket (always there), a firesteel in pocket, a bandana in pocket. Often a military field dressing in a pocket. For winter it gets a bit more extensive, since a night out calls for more; a pot for melting snow, an axe, extra clothes, etc. The possibilty of a -35 C night in the deep snow calls for a bit more than a knife and a firesteel. If I carry any form of pack I usually chunk in the possibles pouch[1]

If I want to have more freedom I carry either the "Indiana Jones", with things like a poncho, a pot, a kuksa, small first aid kit. Or a day pack with axe, spare clothes, etc.

My basic philosophy is; what can happen, considered with no excessive paranoia. I may twist an ankle, be attacked by a horde of zombies or cut myself more or less badly with knife or axe. Bears? Not a real danger, just some common caution. Wolves? Not a great danger for free running dogs, and I am in much greater risk of getting a stroke or heart attack mid-coitus than of them bothering me. Getting lost is possible, but has never happened so far (not counting slightly confused in dense growth until one cans ee some landmarks).

For the zombies (or is that magpies, I can never tell the difference) I suggest something capable of full auto in .375 H&H. Some people will suggest drum fed full auto shotguns, but unless you use slugs they simply do not have the stopping power needed for the larger corvids.

For the rest the ability to stop a bleeding (bandana+field dressing or bandaids/steristrips), make fire under any conditions and build a shelter (hands, but some cordage helps, and a knife and/or an axe makes it quick and easy) pretty much sums it up. Potable water is everywhere around here, so no need to carry or purify. The rest is convenience, comfort and toys.

[1] A small canvas pouch (0.7 L volume) with a few usefull odds and ends; DC4 sharpener, firesteel, a peice of waxed paper, a few bandaids+steristrips, some wire, small vice-grip pliers, some cordage, a Silva 27(?) compass (the "mini-ranger", the mirror is handy in case one gets something in the eye), 1 m carpenters folding ruler (for tracks), a small container (sligthly smaller than a film can) with a few nails). Basically the bits-and-bobs that can come in handy.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I carry my kit on my belt, in a shoulder bag, and a small back pack

On belt bat belt style:
Sodbuster folder in leather pouch
Firesteel and SAK in cordura Pouch
Compass in leather pouch
Capsule lighter - round my neck
Water bag
Small cordura possible pouch packed with - basic first aid kit, Paracord, sharpening set, torch, survival blanket, energy bars. bandana, tape.

I also add my nessmuck to my belt when suitable.

This could get me by if need be after all my family know where I am and if I’m not back in a day or so they’d come looking - I hope....

On top of that I would always carry a claymore bag with

Water bottle + crusader cup + metal lid, folding wood burner, day rations
Tarp set up and small camp possible pouch - keeps my shelter building kit together and includes a more extensive fire kit.

I’m in the process of designing and making a back pack that’ll incorporates a quiver (field archery is one of my wood pastimes), axe sheath makes shelter building much easier) and bed roll holder - it might be ready this year who knows…..

It will also include wet and dry clothes, rations , more water, full first aid kit, repair kit, fishing kit etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE