What do you carry your kit in? thoughts on bergens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi all,

Not posted in a long time, been to busy trying to get so called "real life" to work, decided there's not much chance of that, lol

So, I had been thinking about getting a new bergen, was thinking something simple, and robust, was considering a medium Alice pack without the frame, but not having actually seen one up close I was unsure of quality, size etc.

Then, lo and behold, like usual, I found this on a website, and it made me wonder...

The Tatonka Lastenkraxe

lastenkraxe.jpg

It made me think, you could carry all your kit on this, to set up camp, then afterwards you have a good frame, which you can use to carry wood, game or even beer! You can even get a pack which fits the frame, so you wouldn't have to tie all your kit on, with a million knots, well unless you like tying lots of knots!

The Tatonka Lastenkraxe Backpack

lastenkraxepack.jpg

Has anyone actually, ever used one of these?

What was the build quality like?

Or ease of use? comfort to wear?

Alternativly, I suppose you could use a framed Alice Pack, or one of the old, so called SAS Bergens, but I dont think the shelf on the bottom of the frames are as deep?

I haven't really used an external framed bergen before, how comfortable are they, compared to these modern, sporty, internal framed ones?

Obviously, they will be a bit heavier, but are there any other drawbacks? or good points?

Cheers, Hjaltlander.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Best thing is ask outdoorcode a member on here for a few details he sells this pack. He's a great guy and fantastic service. (and no he didn't bribe me to say that its all true lol)
Dave.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have an alice pack and can't fault its quality. I use it with the frame and it is a little heavy, the thing I like about it is the three big pockets for easy access to gear. Not sure which size I have, I think it is the medium and I reckon it will be around 40 to 50 litres in total.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hjaltlander,

If you don't need such a large pack, the swedish 35 ltr pack (don't be misled by the size description, this pack is at least 45 ltr in reality) also has an external frame that could be used in a similar way. It also costs very little money being ex issue.

A link is here

Moduser

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Hjaltlander,

welcome back and I hope all is well with you. The Swedish 35l sack is great,but the bottom shelf is not as large as the tatonka. There is another swedish sack I think it is 70l, there was a group of this not that long ago. These sacks are cheap but high quality robust sacks, it might be worth trying out - I would recomend either if you are looking for an external frame pack.

Cheers

JFW

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Hjaltlander,
here my experience after 3 months of using the Tatonka Lastenkraxe
(weekend trips and 1 day training marches, weight 20 and 30 kg):

First impression was very good.I saw the Kraxe online several months
before and didn't like it, because I thought the shelf was too deep.
But "eye to eye" the proportions were good. I thought about shortening
the shelf because of weight, but I won't do it: it stands! And the
protection for the equipment is better with the complete shelf.
Like all Lastenkraxen (is there any english word?) the shelf hinders the pack
from sinking some milimeters down with every step. That gives a kick on
the hips and pushes forward.

Aluminium tubes, good form (the round top helps slipping through
underwood), robust and simple;
Nylon is good, carrying system is simple but excellent! The shoulder
straps and hip belt are soft (compared to Gregory for example) - what
I love. The hip belt is extra wide, in action it feels perfectly moulded
around your hips.
Buckles.. all National Moulding. Nice colour.
All in all: For this quality it's a very good price. Looks like it lasts for
some decades. I feel very comfortable during a tour, the hip belt helps
bringing the weight (really) on the hips, handling is easy (I never search
for straps) and: if you use good compression straps the 30 kg on your
back don't even whisper anymore. Quiet !

In my view there are many advantages of external frames. I only use
them.My last was Haglofs Alaska (I used frame and carrying system only),
and I didn't touch it since the Kraxe arrived. The Tatonka is more
robust,some much better details, better carrying system,cheaper;

Tatonka is known for ok-good quality for a good price. Not a
company I would recommend for professional use. But they changed
somehow. With their Tasmanian Tiger-military brand they try to polish
their image, and the Kraxe must be one of the results.
I used an ALICE pack for many trips. The Tatonka seems to be a modern
ALICE pack.

I wouldn't use it together with the Tatonka Backpack. That makes no
sense. Waterproof bags or a single big one(!), 25 mm compression straps:
perfect. No extra weight for waterproof bags inside the backpack. Swims!

I can't say anything about durability (no long trips yet), but I will
take it on the next extended solo tour.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
You might want to try making your own:

DSC01998.jpg

I don't have the shelf attached, but this is the only photo I have in photobucket.
I also use a timpline to carry. Very comfortable.

PG

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi guys, thanks for the replies..

I wouldn't use it together with the Tatonka Backpack. That makes no
sense. Waterproof bags or a single big one(!), 25 mm compression straps:
perfect. No extra weight for waterproof bags inside the backpack. Swims!

Yes, Ogden...This thought had crossed my mind, I was thinking just to use waterproof bags, for personal kit, and sleeping kit, and maybe a large, plastic lock and seal type box, as a grub/cook box, on top of shelf, with the aforementioned bags on top, all strapped in tight, and cosy.

Nemisis, Hi, yes I got a PM from Outdoorcode, and it looks like I will be making a purchase soon when funds permit, but thanks for letting me know.

Pierre Girard, that looks pretty cool, maybe one day, when my skills develop, and time permits, I may do something simmilar, is that canvas or leather straps you have on that pack?

Anyway, thanks again, Cheers, Hjaltlander

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Quote:
"Yes, Ogden...This thought had crossed my mind, I was thinking just to use waterproof bags, for personal kit, and sleeping kit, and maybe a large, plastic lock and seal type box, as a grub/cook box, on top of shelf, with the aforementioned bags on top, all strapped in tight, and cosy"

I tried 3 small waterproof bags first, and think that's good for short trips.
But for extended solo trips I have a problem with my sleeping mat. I use a 14 mm
Evazote (therm-a-rest is not an option for me), and it's too big!
Have a look at "Ortlieb Extremer 108 l". One big waterproof bag.
The sleeping mat loosely rolled is at the bottom now, and the sleeping bag (even
a big winter sleeping bag) fits inside. On top of the sleeping bag comes a kitchen
+ various.. bag. In this little bag is everything vital. Stove,fuel... that can be damaged. It's sorrounded by the sleeping mat, lies on top of the sleeping bag and
on top something. That's for the common hobby of throwing the Kraxe down a
rocky hill and into a river. Nothing breaks, nothing get's wet.
With one big bag the equipment fits much easier inside. (might be different
with your gear)
+you can lock the bag. With a wire-lock you can fix it together with the frame
to your railway seat or....!

RGRBOX

Forager
I used to sell that pack, but found it to be a little on the big side.. that said, I use and carry the Norrona 125L Recon Pack with the external frame. The main reason I don't like the Tatonka pack is the quality of the hardware used in making it... The frame is great though, and you can carry a lot on it... but I found in a wood carrying test i did.. and do most every night in winter carrying wood from my garage up 3 flight os stairs to my 3rd floor apt. that my UK Army Bergan can carry more wood comfortly... and I paid less for it. I can alos just put the wood inside with ease, and witht he frame I have to tie it all down... anyway... nice idea for a ruck.. poorly made ruck... I'd just go with another brand if I were you, and stay away from anything with poor hardwear... usually will fail you when you need it most..

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
my berghaus bergen has proven its worth on my trip to naples this last week. properly carried everyone's kit for them! no probs. I've given my opinion of it in an earlier thread...can't rememeber where it is though.

RGRBOX

Forager
Stuart said:
for packs kifaru are still my out and out favourite

their cargo chair would fill a similar role and can be used alone or attached to most of their packs

www.kifaru.net/MGcargoC.htm

I have several of their packs, and know some of the staff well. They go out of their way to help, and their packs are great.. Because of the many packs I own, I sometimes forget about the 6 Kifarus I own.. their ZULU pack is the best... good size, that is completely modular... the price of their packs is a little on the up side.. but the quality is great..

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
RGRBOX said:
I used to sell that pack, but found it to be a little on the big side.. that said, I use and carry the Norrona 125L Recon Pack with the external frame. ..

I asked the Norrona freaks, if they would sell the frame seperately.
They said no - I said bye,bye

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE