What do i really need in my First aid kit ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Just dug out my ancient first aid pouch knowing it would need replenishing before i use it , only to find a thorughly squished tube of savlon and a gooey triangular bandage !! :eek:
Obviously i need to start from scratch with a new kit , but whats worth including ?
Heres my list so far

sticky plasters (assorted sizes)
large wound dressing kit
butterfly stitches
crepe bandage
micro pore
diralight
paracetamole
Stingeze
latex gloves

Anything missing ? or not needed ?
cheers
Pumbaa

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd add melolin patches and anti histamines and some of those little sterile wipes.
Everybody takes what they know they'd use though.
Cheers,
Toddy

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
pumbaa said:
Just dug out my ancient first aid pouch knowing it would need replenishing before i use it , only to find a thorughly squished tube of savlon and a gooey triangular bandage !! :eek:
Obviously i need to start from scratch with a new kit , but whats worth including ?
Heres my list so far

sticky plasters (assorted sizes)
large wound dressing kit
butterfly stitches
crepe bandage
micro pore
diralight
paracetamole
Stingeze
latex gloves

Anything missing ? or not needed ?
cheers
Pumbaa

OK.. first check out http://www.999supplies.com/ for decent priced stuff - buying that lot from Boots is going to prove expensive...!! If you find a few of you that want stuff, it makes sense to buy in bulk.

I'd agree with most stuff, butterfly stitches (try Leukostrip) are a definite. I've put more people back together with those, as Scally will testify...!

Paracetamol is a dubious one - it has very little effect as a painkiller, so you would be better off with a Codeine based product if you can get them. I carry Codeine Phosphate, but they are prescription strength...!

Bin the Stingeze - dock leaves are universally available.

Small, medium and large wound dressings are good, don't just carry one size. Melonin will stop wounds sticking and weighs nothing.

Diaorlyte or any of the other rehydration powders are a good addition - make sure you know how to use them. Glucose tablets are also a good addition.

Finally, don't forget to include needles, safety pins and small tweezers if you have space, and pack it all in waterproof bags. Ziploc sandwich bags are good for this.

If you haven't already been on one, get yourself on at least a First Response course, as its amazing what you will learn

Cheers

Pete

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I agree entirley with the comment on paracetamol as being inadequate. It is not typically advertertised, but paracetamol cannot pass through the blood-brain barrier, making it useful for hang-overs and headaches, but not for general pain-relief. Ibuprofen products have better pain-relief properties, but come with the potential to cause stomach problems in those that are sensitive to it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I’d add a triangular bandage to that list for splint, sling, and eye patch use. I also carry a small sewing kit in mine the cotton be used to remove ticks and bee stings if your tweezers aren’t fine enough and will help if you split your trowsers:eek:

The most important thing I would add to a FAK would be a EAR barrier for resuscitation work I’ve had to do EAR and CPR on quite a few occasions, and one of these will help keep you safe whilst you’re trying to help others:cool: . (These barriers are not 100% guaranteed to stop cross infection but they are better than nothing. )

I hope this is of help:)

James

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
Wayland said:
Paracetamol and Ibuprophen can be used together at full dosage which I can tell you is a godsend for toothache...

Correct.... however they should be dosed 2 hrs apart - ie alternate 2 hrs of paracetamol and ibuprofen

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I also keep a disposable lighter, taped up to prevent leakage, in my kit. Good for quick sterilisation of tweezers etc.

I like triangular bandages too, there are 2 in my personal kit.

Cheers,

Dave

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There is a great product by Germaline called "New Skin", It seems to be a collodion solution similar to the stuff used in boxing rings.

It is in a little glass bottle so good packing is needed but it is great for small cuts, sore patches and blisters.

It is a liquid that is applied with the lid applicator and it dries to leave a clear covering to the wound.

Be warned it stings like anything on open blisters but once the sting has gone, a strip of plaster over the top and away you go.

It is also the only thing I know that seals paper / grass cuts like they just aren't there.

Probably the most used item in my kit.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
In my large FAK and in my little EDC 'Urban Altoid Tin' (see the current survival kit thread) I carry a Victorinox Swisscard. SAK style scissors, tweezers, pin, toothpick, nailfile/miniscrewdriver, pen and a sharp little blade all in a credit card sized flat package taking up virtually no space, being flat! All the tools are SAK quality and perfectly functional and a pen is a useful addition to any FAK.

You can normally get the ones with unwanted corporate logos off ebay for about three quid, which makes them a bargain for both PSKs and FAKs. There is even one now with an integral LED torch.

You might have all the stuff on your own SAK or as part of the FAK but in a crisis you may need more than one pair of hands using more than one tool at a time. It's always good to know the Swisscard is there, just in case!

;)

Danzo

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Wayland said:
There is a great product by Germaline called "New Skin", It seems to be a collodion solution similar to the stuff used in boxing rings.

It is in a little glass bottle so good packing is needed but it is great for small cuts, sore patches and blisters.

It is a liquid that is applied with the lid applicator and it dries to leave a clear covering to the wound.

Be warned it stings like anything on open blisters but once the sting has gone, a strip of plaster over the top and away you go.

It is also the only thing I know that seals paper / grass cuts like they just aren't there.

Probably the most used item in my kit.

This stuff is great - been using it for years too. Also been known as 'Second Skin' tho not recently IIRC. Like Wayland says it stings: in the same way as pouring tobasco sauce into your eyes stings :eek:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Plumbaa, pop into Surgical Supplies in Bournemouth to get stuff if you're near it. It's near the Registy Office, on the corner where the Christchurch Road becomes pedestrianised. I get all my surgical instruments there. In my kit I also carry small clampstats, but for these to be of any good you need to know where to use them. Tampons are excellent to plug round bleeding wounds such as gunshot or 'stick' wounds ,if you know what I mean, and of course make great tinder... For painkillers I use Solpadeine Max as it seems the only thing to cure my neck related migraines, without knocking me out like Syndol. It's a great all round over the counter painkiller, that doesn't react like ibuprofen. A couple of sterile water ampules are worth carrying as well, for eye flushing, wound flushing etc. Agree with superglue-I use it every day to glue skin together and it is the best thing for it, as that was what it was developed for in the first place. There is a surgical version available, but not sure if you can buy it retail? Piriton are a good antihistamine to carry, I'm not sure if it is any good for anaphalactic shock, but better than nothing??? Surgical Supplies sells sticky backed felt/foam which is THE best thing at blister prevention! I suffer badly from blisters no matter what I do, but a small strip of this on the achilles and no problems at all! They also do a great range in ankle supports if you get Tendonitis of the Achilles when tabbing across Dartmoor, especially if you still have another hour to go....

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I break my kit into two small packs.

The first is a basic first aid kit which contains nothing that I'm not comfortable with. Contents are:
Triangular bandage
Sterile wipes
plasters
steri strips
small tube of savlon
two bandages
two gauze pads
Tweezers, needle and scissors
two pairs of disposable gloves and a
vent aid
lip balm or bug spray (depending on season)
Nail clippers

The second is a medical kit which comes out with me for trips longer a day walk:
Ibuprofen tablets
Asprin
Antihystemine tablets
Immodium tablets
Dhyralite salt sachets
Foot talc with anti fungicide

For long trips I'll also beef up the first aid kit with extra dressings and a mini dental repair kit (because I have a couple of crowns and have lost one before and was not prepared).

David

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Having seen someone on the hillside with smashed teeth and crying with the pain I would recommend a vial of clove oil (remember 'The Marathon Man'.....)or an item called 'Toofy pegs' which can solve a broken tooth, lost filling temporarily until you can get to a dentist.
Remember that pain will take precedence and will override your well thought out plans and usual common sense.
Army Field dressings are good as well as they are multi use. Long bandage, large pad, shiny sterile interior for chest wounds, tough packaging.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE