What do i really need in my First aid kit ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
PeterW said:
Correct.... however they should be dosed 2 hrs apart - ie alternate 2 hrs of paracetamol and ibuprofen

I've always seen them prescribed at the same time in hospital. In fact I've been prescribed them myself :D

Cheers,
Simon

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Danceswithhelicopters said:
Having seen someone on the hillside with smashed teeth and crying with the pain I would recommend a vial of clove oil (remember 'The Marathon Man'.....)or an item called 'Toofy pegs' which can solve a broken tooth, lost filling temporarily until you can get to a dentist.
Remember that pain will take precedence and will override your well thought out plans and usual common sense.
Army Field dressings are good as well as they are multi use. Long bandage, large pad, shiny sterile interior for chest wounds, tough packaging.

Toofy pegs can be got from pharmacy2U
They also do Propain tablets which have codeine phosphate in (though not prescription strength)
They also do a line in 'Embarrasing conditions' but I've never checked out exactly what they are ;)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Reply With Quote from Andrew Middleton

"I agree entirley with the comment on paracetamol as being inadequate. It is not typically advertertised, but paracetamol cannot pass through the blood-brain barrier, making it useful for hang-overs and headaches, but not for general pain-relief. Ibuprofen products have better pain-relief properties, but come with the potential to cause stomach problems in those that are sensitive to it."

Ibuprofen has something in it that calms stomachs. Would like to hear more about it causing stomach problems. Asprin and paracetamol side effects are well known but have not heard a lot about ibuprofens. My hang-over cure has been 2 ibuprofen and a B complex for years now, works eveytime.

Agree basically with Moduser's kit but split it differently so hear goes : -

Daily carry
(This should be in everyones pocket with the knowledge to use it)
two pairs of disposable gloves
vent aid (you can get key rings now with one)
plasters
2 x Sterile wipe(they sort of go with the vent aid)

Ruc/bag/car - nearby kit
2 x Triangular bandage
More Sterile wipes
more plasters ( at least three sizes)
steri strips ( at least two sizes)
2 x No.9 wound dressings(Start big, you can always cut it down)
gauze pads
Zinc oxide tape
Tweezers
Needle
Tuff cuts Scissors
A plastic bag (in it's own plastic bag, keeped safe)
Burn blots
Arnica gel or propolis (replaces the small tube of savlon)
lip balm (might add this)
4 x Garlic tablets (replaces the bug spray)
4 x Asprin
10 x Ibuprofen tablets
4 x Antihystemine tablets (get hayfever anyway)
10 x Immodium tablets
2 x Dhyralite salt sachets
4 x B Complex

On the hill kit :
This is bascailly a repeat of the above kit but with extras and more
2 x Triangular bandage
More Sterile wipes
more plasters ( at least three sizes)
steri strips ( at least two sizes)
2 x No.9 wound dressings
more gauze pads
Tweezers
Needle
Tuff cuts Scissors
A plastic bag
Burn blots
Arnica gel or propolis (replaces the small tube of savlon)
lip balm (might add this)
Garlic tablets (replaces the bug spray)
more Asprin
more Ibuprofen tablets
more Antihystemine tablets (get hayfever anyway)
more Immodium tablets
more 2 x Dhyralite salt sachets
Foot talc with anti fungicide
Tea tree oil
Tiger Balm
Mole skin

For long trips I do add in a mini dental repair kit but would not beef up the dressings. The point of them is to stop bleeding or cover wounds so if I needed more than the above, germs take a back seat to stopping the bleeding and any cloth can do that.

I am looking at some stuff called Quick-clot. I do bladed martial arts, bushcraft, and the father in law is on a drug that stops his blood clotting so a sharp straight cut is the hardest to stop bleeding. The blurb on this stuff looks interesting and it is recommend street carry by some of the US defense trainers for self-defense purposes. Their point being you could bleed out before hospital with the right sort of wounds, so think of your favorite bushcraft place and the nearest hospital, anything over 30 minutes and this stuff comes into it's own. It was designed for the military with that in mind.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ibuprofen DOES cause problems with stomach linings, but not everyone is susceptible to it, and those that do usually get it after a long, continuous course. My mother, and a geezer at work both ended up vomiting blood everywhere in a most dramatic fashion that would impress Wes Craven. Should be fine for a run in the woods though.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Yep,
Just looked it up and it does cause stomach bleeds, but is used to settle stomach's , weird.

Thanks for the stuff about Quickclot. The stats look empressive but the people using it do not like it. Know where the trial in England is now, will get back to you all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE