What Digital SLR for under £1000?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
...and a laughing stock amongst many photographers using Nikon equipment :) Far better to look at Thom Hogans site http://bythom.com/nikon.htm which is a bit more objective and far more balanced in my opinion.

I did not say the ONLY authority ;)

I personally have enough "objectivity" in paid magazines *hint hint* so that I don't mind his opinionated approach. I actually like it. It's always good to double check at cameralabs.com and dpreview.com though ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Image stabilization is available on many models under that price. I've used it on binoculars and it's truly stunning. Like any other gizmo I think I'd want to be able to switch it off, though. And make sure that you can do MANUAL FOCUS in case the auto focus can't hack it. Which happens all the time trying to get shots of wildlife at night for example on my wife's Olympus.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I really appreciate all the advice guys. I am still veering towards a Nikon D7000 body. Still thinking about lenses. Tempted to start with a "kit lens" 18-105, but also considering a fast 50mm lens as well.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
Evening,

I've got a Nikon D7000 and it's absolutely brilliant! I bought it about a week after they came out over here, having read some fantastic reviews from the US. I've got a 50mm f/1.8 for low light (£150 from jessops but no doubt cheaper elsewhere) and an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 for general day to day use, as well as the MB-D11 battery grip for portrait shots.

I've still got my first DSLR, a Nikon D40x which was good as a starter to get me used to the buttons and functions. I wouldn't give up my D7000 for anything now. It's set up how I need it and it's easy as pie to change settings on the go. The 2 user defined settings are excellent and you can change the shooting modes with a twist of the dial.

I've got some photos from a trip to the zoo yesterday that I can upload if you want to see the picture quality.

The D7000 and 18-200mm combo are perfect for pretty much everything, including some low light due to the vibration reduction built in to the lens. You can also use AF and AF-D lenses with it too, which is an upgrade that wasn't on the d40x. The autofocus is super fast and the battery grip is very useful too (albeit pretty pricey). I believe the battery is a new type of Li-ion batt that lasts a lot longer and helps to keep the continuous shot mode pretty quick too.

I'd very much recommend it. I haven't used the video recording function as I don't have any use for it, but the still photo functions are great! I definitely think it's one of the best purchases I've made in a long time

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Got it - Nikon D7000 with kit lens. Excellent build quality vs the Canons but pretty big and heavy. Superb pictures so far.
Looking for a fast 50mm lens to go with now

Thanks to everyone for the advice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE