what did Robinson Crusoe use to start his fire?!

i'm currently rereading "Robinson Crusoe" and in chapter12 he finds cave, to explore it he uses self made candles. to ignite them he uses a tinderbox made from a musket lock "with some wild-fire in the pan". i've no idea what he refers to and my google search for "wild-fire" directs me to bushfires :-(
does anyone have an idea what he talks about?!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Some kind of tinder? Maybe something flammable mixed with a bit of gunpowder? (Which we know he had, as he is very careful with it).

Something like the old trick of lighting a fire by taking the bullet and propellant out of a cartridge, replacing with rag and firing it into the ground, as the old timer used to do if they had no matches?

(Sounds a bit hit and miss, that)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't know the actual answer but paper/rag soaked in saltpeter solution then dried acts as a blue touch paper and burns with a fizz.

Or Yellow Pages does anyway cos I did it as a teenager.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
That was my thought. Dave Canterbury demonstrated rag impregnated with black powder as a fire starter. No idea what wild fire actually is though.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Flint lock weapons use a flint in the hammer, which when cocked & the trigger pulled, strikes a metal plate which creates a spark, which ignites a small amount of priming powder placed in a small receptacle, called a pan of flash pan, adjacent to the touch hole, destined to ignite the gunpowder rammed into the barrel.
The wild fire could refer to a type of gunpowder or just Daniel Dafoe putting some spark into it. :rolleyes:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Heard of using char cloth, and rub cloth (gunpowder impregnated cloth). No idea what wildfire would be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE