What constitutes a wilderness living school?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Path Finder

Jan 3, 2008
Devon
trackingcourses.com
Hi Guys

As some of you may know I have had a bit of a tick about how many schools there out there in particular in the UK…

Now the question is this, what constitutes a wilderness living school?

Some schools offer combinations of bushcraft, survival, kayaking, tanning, knapping etc and some favour kayaking topped up with bushcraft and others choose the other way round.

In terms of the web page I have set up, do I include water survival skills for the guys who like going to sea for example? There seems to be quite a few blurred edges in what schools are offering.

In fact do we need well defined edges I wonder?

Perhaps someone could set up a poll for me as I have no idea how to do this?

Anyway I will be interested in your views.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

http://wilderness-living-skills.blogspot.com/

I had no idea there were so many schools!

I guess a wilderness living school is one that teaches just that as its core focus. If it also looks at building basha boats or canoe travel, then fair enough. That is all part of living in the wild. If it is a canoe/kayak/sailing school and happens to cover some "survival" skills then perhaps this doesn't fall into the same category.

leon-1

Now the question is this, what constitutes a wilderness living school?

Interesting question and one that will ultimately cause discussion (possibly heated).

Personally I would think that initially the school would have to look at the base skills of indigenous peoples living in a specific wilderness environment.

The Sami peoples skill set is different from that of the Inuit, but there will be base skill sets which would be similar. There must be a few such cultures that live in similar environments that have skill sets that crossover in the basics.

What do you class as wilderness??

Alaska / Canada / Siberia.

Kalahari / Atacama.

Borneo / Belize.

All could be classed as wilderness in certain peoples eyes, but to others they're home.

In each of these environments there are basic skill sets which have to be learned at an early age and they will parallel those environments which are closest to them.

I would think those skills would be the ones that would need to be addressed first before moving onto other more complicated are region specific skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE