What caused this tree damage?

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
My mother planted trees on some of her land 3 or 4 years ago. There was a small group of pine trees - one got eaten by rabbits, another got blown horizontal and died (background in this shot) and the third was doing quite well. Until we went out last Friday morning and found it like this:

Anyone any idea what might have caused it? Could it be a badger that stood up on the wire mesh rabbit-defence at the bottom? We suspect we might have muntjack deer just arriving on the moor, but no definite sightings yet - could it be that?

We have another two groups of pines some distance away, and they're still ok. Just hoping the phantom pine-tree spifflicator doesn't find them! Any idea how we could protect the remaining trees?

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Could be Muntjac, the little devils!:AR15firin
We get some damage like this in Hatfield Forest on the natural regrowth. Plantings get steel cages to keep nasties out!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey 'Grelf,
You have four species out and about in Cornwall. Fallow, Red, Roe and Reeve's Muntkac. I'm no expert but any one of them and not much else looks responsible for the damage. Height of damage would be a good indicator of species, along with slot tracks and spoor. Speaking of slots, slotting the beggars may me one way of preventing damage. But I'll hold off on that idea until you can say how much damage and population density in your area. Definitely isn't hylobius weevil or bunnies though lol.
Colin.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Roe Deer, without a doubt. Evil little buggers keep eating my apple trees... :AR15firin

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks guys. I could believe Red deer if we were somewhere near Exmoor, but we're right down near Lands End! We haven't had any deer here in living memory, so I'm guessing it's probably Muntjac sneaking in now that the "moor" (Cornish moor - the rest of the UK would probably call it a marsh) is drying up and willows are growing larger.
And my mum is just shorter than you all think. ;)
The rose hips have been disappearing from the end of our garden - don't Muntjac like those as well?
That corrugated plastic stuff looks great - thanks rancid badger!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No idea, but if you want a cheap, recycleable way to protect trees then top and tail big water or lemonade type bottles. (milk jugs work too, but the handles get in the way) and then spiral cut the resultant tube. Just wrap them around the trees. They won't bite into the growing tree and can be easily removed by hand. They can be stacked too to give sufficient length.....a stapler holds them together no bother at all.
The plastic gives protection to the seedling/ whips from wind damage too and it's supposed to frustrate deer who want something to nibble as well as something rough enough to scratch off velvet.

cheers,
Toddy

relfy

Nomad
Hehehe :) Mum looks well pleased. By estimations, with Mum not standing up straight, damage looks about 3.5 - 4 feet up the tree? When my crab apple tree was broken off everyone was blaming badgers. I blamed the local kids... but we'll soon sort em out with this foxfire idea, eh? ;)

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Hi Relfy - yes, about 3.5 foot high. Keep me informed about the local kids :)

Toddy - thanks! My mother has been saving bottles for just that purpose, but the Cornish winds are very strong, so at best the trees have just been protected from rabbit damage so far. It's going to take a long time for them to gain any height!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE