What can i do - without getting told off?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I am off for a new hip in a couple of weeks and am looking for something to keep myself occupied/sane during the week or so that I will be inside.

Any good ideas on projects i can attempt without the hospital staff freaking out?

I have plenty of reading material sorted out, but I just can't seem to pass up on the opportunity to fiddle with something during all the free time.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Not sure Rob, what are you like with rope work/knots? You could practice your knots because you won't need much kit or make a mess and it keeps your hands occupied. Good luck with the op though.

Brian

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Rob,

Good luck with your op. :)

As for stuff to do, talk to the hospital in advance is my advice. If you have something like a whittling jack (small folder) then maybe they will let you use it do do some whittling.

Failing that, knot work or sewing (leather work) may be a good way to go as well as reading.

When my grandad was in being treated for cancer, he spent most of his time drunk!! With the doctors permission :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Take a whet stone in and offer to sharpen all the scalpels!!!

All joking aside, I think that knots would be a good idea, Turks heads will keep you occupied if you don't know how to tie them. Try some braiding and plaiting, take in a key ring and tie different lanyards onto it. Mats can also be tied with cordage, for use as coasters and dinner plate mats. Get enough cordage and you could tie a gill net, purse nets or even one of those stringy hammocks!!

Cordage is great, I often carry a piece with me for messing with when I have to wait on the ranges or such like. It keeps the mind and hands active, which normally stops me getting into trouble!!

How about mentally going through the kit you have for bushcraft and deciding what is necessary to take in different seasons? List what is essential to you and what are luxury items, maybe you could start a good thread with your results.

Hope all goes well for you and you get back to fighting fit as soon as possible.

spamel

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Hey Rob, I'm sorry to hear about the need for a new hip. I wish you well on that journey from start to finish and hope all goes smoothly for you.

I also think that leather work and knot tying would be a good way to spend your off time. Maybe even try your hand at braiding lanyard straps or even your own rope from leather. If you have a writing spirit, take a journey in your imagination and write a Bushcrafty short story. It helped me on my extended stay in the hospital and let me visit a couple of destinations where I have imagined myself being many times.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
good luck with the op mate

passing the time in hospital?

well i suggest trying to curb your inclinations to sit around open fires and sharpen axes

knots and knitting are smashing ideas, and time to catch up on all those books ya ever meant to read

seriously i can spend hours with a good fungus book or plant book dredging through memories and thinking, hmmmmmmmm thats what that was

prolly not a good idea to try and persuade the kitchens to make you nettle soup and acorn coffee tho

basket weaving is another useful skill, yeah its a bit silly with plastic but the principles are the same and you dont need a bathtub full of water to soak the canes

oh and flirt with the nurses of course

Tant

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
I've got several suggestions;

1. You can lend me your Landy for the duration, just so that I can keep it warm.

2. There is always daytime TV :eek:

3. You can read up on Canoe strokes - coz sooner or later I'm going to get you and Mel in one of our boats! (Bill Mason books are just great!)

4. String making.

5. Do all the admin for your next shoot

All the best, and will probably PM or speak before you go in - coz I want to get some gear from you.

Graham (& Vanessa)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Rob.

I would have thought the knots and cordage pactise would not upset anyone too much. I'm sure you will be busy enough doing your physio exercises. If you need any further info or more parctical help give me a shout.
Good luck with the op.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Rhapsody said:
Carve a spoon out of your old hip.

hmmmm. Now thats more like it. ;) But i think I am going to struggle to get it back off the surgeon. Do you think I would get complaints about stirring the big saucepan of dinner with it when we are catering for a group? ;) lol

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, looks like ropework will be the way forward - with the addition of a canoeing book.

Lend you my Landie Graham? You will have to get it away from Mel first. lol. Wayne is going to have to drive my pickup to the Bushmoot as it is - which he doesn't know about yet. :eek:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Rob said:
hmmmm. Now thats more like it. ;) But i think I am going to struggle to get it back off the surgeon. Do you think I would get complaints about stirring the big saucepan of dinner with it when we are catering for a group? ;) lol

Cheers for all the suggestions guys, looks like ropework will be the way forward - with the addition of a canoeing book.

Lend you my Landie Graham? You will have to get it away from Mel first. lol. Wayne is going to have to drive my pickup to the Bushmoot as it is - which he doesn't know about yet. :eek:

Wey Hey the chance to drive a proper car. oh the joy. What you having chopped next Rob? :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm sure I saw a thread on BB about somebody who had a handle for a knife made out of their old titanium hip joint!! It would certainly be a talking point!!

Spamel

B

Bob Hurley

Sorry to hear that, Rob, but I'm glad it's something they can fix.

Something to bear in mind - the pain medicine usually causes vision difficulties (focusing, mostly, and staying in focus), and may really diminish your attention span and fine motor skills. Be sure to take a few things that aren't tedious - a large-type book or two, and some larger cord for the knot practice.

Bob

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Good luck Rob, I hope all goes smoothly. You may find your back on your feet very quickly, Dave said his unkle was back out the following day !
I second the read up on Bill Mason books, then you and Mel can come on the Scotish canoeing trip :D

Get well soon mate

Cheers
Rich

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Spring is here. Do you have any seeds of a favourite tree or shrub? Put together a small sprouting kit and take it to hospital.Being responsible for a living thing while your under the care of others is spiritually empowering. Get a topo of a favourite place or unknown one and visualise every twist and turn. When you get out and about take your young charge to the area. You will know the right place when you see it. Now you are both truly home again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE