What are you working on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all -

As title really - what are you working on at the moment?

I'm on pause due to my finals so it would be nice to see what everyone else is having a go at!

Once the exams are over I'm going to finish off a few knives I have in the works. With any luck I'll get some forge time too.

Do post pics if you can!

Andy

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Ive currently got one 4 knives on the go and am looking at plans for a heat treat oven but everything has been put on hold as i've thrown my back out! It absolutely sucks!!!

Dave

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi mate i think this will be a great thread, when i get the chance i will post up a bit on some of the commisons i have been working on, i no inbetween me leather commisions i'm going to have a go at me first knife, just handling it, not forging.

Biker

My mate Paul threw out a challenge to me, my brother and obviously himself to make a chessboard before the end of July.

Both he and my brother have finished theirs, mine is sort of in the works. Paul's made his from Padauk and Beech. My brother made his from ply and paint, mine's going to be made from Leather... I hope.

I have the small chesspieces courtesy of ebay, couldn't be arsed to make that lot, unlike Paul and my brother who made thiers too. Once I get some photos together I'll post them.

I'm still making my leather and wood sheath for a knife I bought ages ago on BB forum, got the wood from a beech burr I saved from our firewood stack. It's got an amazing grain pattern. Just need to fit the leather parts now. Photos will be posted eventually.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Only another thumbstick just finished.

Stripped Ash dried in kitchen over winter and finished with Danish oil with an old alpine ferrule.

I'll try and get a pic up,none taken of it at present.

Recently got an old Khukri from Doonboy to sharpen up,has a wooden sheath that needs covered with some leather.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
three axe heads currently at various stages of tarting up, varying from "heap of rust" to "i really should get round to putting that head and handle together at some point"

rowan flat bow (5 years in on this project, it's going pretty well so far!)

wood/leather sheath for my kellam knife, taking this one really steady, i have no idea what i'm doing

first knife from re-cycled steel, slow work taking the teeth off an old rasp with hand tools, hopefully really rewarding when i get it finished

the elusive "perfect" meths stove, i have a feeling i may be working on this one for some time yet

stuart (still taking it nice and steady)

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've started scribing the marks onto the brass components of my astrolabe. It's going to take me a while.

Annoying when real life gets in the way. All the best with Finals.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm making a couple of leather hats ( aussie/cowboy style) one in full grain calf leather & the other in a firmer split leather ( both veg tanned).
The soles on a pair of my German para boots have decided to part company with the rest & so I'm looking around for some glue ( that actually works) before they come off completely. I've ordered some 'shoe goo' & I'll see what I can do with that.
I have 3 oil paintings on the go ( landscapes) I have 6 weeks to finish them.
I have 'requisitioned' my daughter's bow no longer used by her ( polycarbonate I think) & I'm toying with the idea of making some wooden arrows,( the original sets have long sinced disappeared into the undergrowth) I have some lengths of hazel for the shafts & a few buzzard feathers for the fletching....but it's.not a definate plan yet
I'm also working on trying to be a better human being,........ easier said than done.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
These last couple of weeks have given the chance to start on a custom backpack and accessory pouches. I've been keeping a photographic record of progress so hope to post on here once complete.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm just building a block retaining wall, concreting and all those lovely things. I should carry on with my leather bottle so i can contribute something crafty :D

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I am working on trying to clean my eight month year old who I have just fed. Food spray everywhere after a big sneezing fit

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Great idea for a thread, great to hear the variety of ongoing projects and creative ideas :You_Rock_
today I have been working on a large straight 2 handed crook knife, more like a japanese spear plane, to do surface textures on large planks. I forged the blade Tuesday, hardened it yesterday, tempered it today. The handle is glued up (araldite is now going off) Tommorrow the handle will need finishing, whipping and oiling up. I will post pictures and a video of it in use....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE