What an Amazing Photo!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Talk about being at the right place at the right time with a camera... :yikes:

enhanced-buzz-wide-27584-1425334086-8.jpg

More about the picture in this article

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
yup once in a lifetime chance to witness that even happening without a camera !! :) :) hope its not photoshopped ??

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's incredible - if I even saw that I'd be straight off to buy a lottery ticket :)

You linky just expands the image tough, Mesquite.....................

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks Hugh :)

What an incredible story, and the chap was very quick to have realised what was going on and captured the image without being mesmerised by the moment - I think I would have been!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good grief what a shot! That might win a photography award or two!

Just shows how powerful weasels are, that they are prepared to tackle such large prey. I once found a weasel dragging a dead fox cub across a road. The cub was so young it still had its eyes closed, and must have been taken from the fox den, but it was the same size as the weasel.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good grief what a shot! That might win a photography award or two!

Just shows how powerful weasels are, that they are prepared to tackle such large prey. I once found a weasel dragging a dead fox cub across a road. The cub was so young it still had its eyes closed, and must have been taken from the fox den, but it was the same size as the weasel.

Watch a weasel or stoat take a rabbit some time and you will know they are, pound for pound, much harder than Chuck Norris :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant shot. Love watching the stoats and weasels round here, fantastic watching them hunt. Especially the hypno dance they do to the rabbits.

Cheers for posting up.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Call me cynical if you like but I have serious doubts on the validity of the photo, I've seen several weasels in the wild and watched one work the bank of a small stream but I have never seen one climbing trees. I have seen woodpeckers watched them hammer dead trees usually near the top.

The photo itself would have had to be taken in a split second of the observer seeing the woodpecker, and I am very suspicious of the shallow focus being exactly on the fast moving subject, so precise that the background is totally blurred.

Sorry but I just don't buy it, amazing what can be achieved by photo editing software.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Call me cynical if you like but I have serious doubts on the validity of the photo, I've seen several weasels in the wild and watched one work the bank of a small stream but I have never seen one climbing trees. I have seen woodpeckers watched them hammer dead trees usually near the top.

The photo itself would have had to be taken in a split second of the observer seeing the woodpecker, and I am very suspicious of the shallow focus being exactly on the fast moving subject, so precise that the background is totally blurred.

Sorry but I just don't buy it, amazing what can be achieved by photo editing software.

Green woodpeckers hunt for food on the ground, so would be vulnerable to a weasel as described.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Weasels and stoats are double hard. I remember being out in the dales, hearing a scream and coming over a ridge to see a weasel dragging a rabbit off that it had just killed. The weasel stopped, looked up at us and gave us a look that could only be translated as "do you want some too?" was glad I was 6 foot taller than it.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Most mustelids can climb trees.

I00006o8Movp9Wdg.jpg

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Green woodpeckers hunt for food on the ground, so would be vulnerable to a weasel as described". Yep.
"I am very suspicious of the shallow focus". - wildlife photographers have been able to do this manually for years, and modern cameras can do this easily even with a less skilled operator.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Although the story is plausible I still don't buy it, rather more like a deliberate attempt to make it go viral on the internet. If something looks to good to be true it usually isn't.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE