what alternate fireboxes are used....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf_diver

Forager
Jan 21, 2007
Weymouth Dorset
Anyone use a alternate firebox.... if so what types. Going to end up in a camp site one night and want to use a wood fire without the grass police giving me a hard time. Cant get hold of a firebox as yet, so what else is used out there??

Jay

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh you are going to get swamped with advice :D

Cheapest of the lot is one of those disposable barbeque's. They'll do for a night or so, especially if you pack a pack of cheap metal skewers to strengthen things a bit. Total cost from the £ stores = £2. Even comes with the first fuel supplied :)

MagiKelly did a review of one of the tentipi ones though if you're looking for something heavy duty
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22638

Have a look too at the ones Spoony and Gaillaine have been designing and constructing. :cool:

Me ? I use a Hobo stove that Warthog1981 made :D

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Chris Randall on SotP makes one too which I like a lot.

3255474626_6fbdc38cdc.jpg

More info here on the Yukon firebox

Cheers,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's neat Gary :approve:

On set camps I use the oil drum firebowl with bolt on legs that Russ made. It even accomodates a tripod and Wayland chain set up :D as well as a 70cms wide grill :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My favourite (at the moment) is a Son of Hibachi barbeque:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/son-of-hibachi-bbq/index.html (for example - and many others).

You light it closed up so the charcoal gets going really quickly, then you open it to cook on and later throw logs onto but, the clever bit, is you can close it up again and feed wood in from the top so it acts like a kind of woodburning radiator! We've even used it inside the awning of our treking tent.

Cheers,

Broch

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
I wouldn't bring it to a bushcraft meeting as it's too big, but for regular camping with the family I use one of these which came from a different supplier at a much cheaper price (about £15 if memory serves). It can be used to cook in both sides, can be half closed to be a heat reflector, and packs away so you don't need to worry about spreading ashes.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Just bought one of those folding barbecues from Homebase. Similar principle to the Tentipi folding firebox, but only £10.00! I am going to drill some holes in the ashbed floor to assist airflow, as there is another skin underneath. Click on thumbnails for larger pic.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
SOAR has a great item for having an open fire on, a so called "chinese hat" (I'm not being racist before anybody starts) used on top of chimneys and flues! He drilled three holes around the edge and fits threaded bar as legs with the hat upside down, leaving him with a robust metal cone to light his fire in. Ever one to try and shamelessly copy a brilliant idea, I've been on the lookout for a scrap one ever since!

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
A helium bottle cut in half. The one that you get with kits for kids parties upside down keeps the heat from the ground.
D
Oh yeah they helium is inert so shouldn't blow you up.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Is the kelly base big enough for a family of four to cook food on??

NO notreally but i have had an idea and that is take the hole kelly anyway cos it will be as usefull as pie with a family of 4 and also what u could use is half a steel oil drum with a grate and gridle.

now then were to get a half a steel drum well a metal manufactures could make you one and if you wanted culd use the other side as a lide if you used hinges or a welder mate might do it if you got one from a scrap heap

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Just bought one of those folding barbecues from Homebase. Similar principle to the Tentipi folding firebox, but only £10.00! I am going to drill some holes in the ashbed floor to assist airflow, as there is another skin underneath. Click on thumbnails for larger pic.

I picked up on of those the other day. Seems pretty sturdy. Have you tried it out yet, just wandering how much warping will effect the hinges.

Also thinking about losing the grill, the hooks seem to catch on anything you put it in. So wandering on whether to cut them off all together and place in some corner rods for it to rest on lower in the box. Either that or drill some holes in the side to place skewers.

Also working out the best way to put holes in the mid doors to help air flow.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Been on the look out on the 'bay for gastronorm tins & particularly grids... (loads of tins but not seen a grid yet, surely should be restaurant closures selling of all their kit)

Heres some pictures of them, http://www.wiretrays.co.uk/acatalog/gastronorm.html , which I suspect would be a good firebox/grill/bbq all made out of stainless.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I picked up on of those the other day. Seems pretty sturdy. Have you tried it out yet, just wandering how much warping will effect the hinges.

Also thinking about losing the grill, the hooks seem to catch on anything you put it in. So wandering on whether to cut them off all together and place in some corner rods for it to rest on lower in the box. Either that or drill some holes in the side to place skewers.

Also working out the best way to put holes in the mid doors to help air flow.

Tried it out and didn't warp at all! I know what you mean about the grill edges catching a bit. I am going to just use a normal drill to put in the extra holes, which I think are needed to stop the fire clogging itself up with ash from the bottom, and to help combustion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE