What about a forum where users can post guides to places?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I was just wondering as we all tend to be familiar about our own areas, but I at least wouldn't have a clue where to go in other districts. Therfore, I thought it'd be a good idea to have a forum where we all could post threads about locations, reviewing them, e.g remoteness, plants and animals about, particularly good camp spots, firewood, etc. I was thinking it would be best to maybe make it viewable to forum members only however, as otherwise you could attract neds etc.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
In general we create new forums where there is already a perceived need, for example a lot of threads on a topic which don't fit in to the forums we already have. We don't usually create forums and hope people fill them with threads.

I would say you could stick location reviews in 'Out and About' with out any problems.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think its a great idea

Im sure if you started a forum, people would use it.

(says she who doesnt get to go anywhere, but who knows her own area intimatley)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
That's kinda what I thought tengu, I would certainly post details of locs in my area. Plus, it would give people an incitement to use if they knew there posts wouldn't be lost in a week, and as well as that you could have a standard format so it'd be easy to compare places at a glance.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Out and About
This forum is about getting out, traveling & doing stuff. Advice and feedback on where to go and what to do.

I agree with Tomtom, the quote is the description of the contents of the Out and About forum.
Local details belong here too and it's where Mods will shift appropriate threads.

What could be done is to title a thread so that anything that concerns that particular area can be added on to the rest of the info. E.g. South Lanarkshire and include Brownlee, Chatelherault, Falls of Clyde and the like under that title.

Cheers,
Toddy

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
"What could be done is to title a thread so that anything that concerns that particular area can be added on to the rest of the info. E.g. South Lanarkshire and include Brownlee, Chatelherault, Falls of Clyde and the like under that title."

Yeah I think that's good too but it'd be best if they were stickied so you could see them easily.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think this might work...(could also be used forum wide)

1. Title the threads accurately (Devils wood, Hades, 5 level)
  2. Put them in the right forum (in this instance - Out and about)
  3. Put in any other helpful info into the text

Then, people wanting to find more info, or add more info could...

1. Do a search (to see if anyone has already shared their knowledge of an area)
  2. If they have not then start your own using the guidelines above, if they have then add any relevant information to the thread, keeping in mind any key words that people might use when doing their own searches.

I would suggest that country, county, local area name, landmarks etc would all be useful as would links to maps and the like.

If in the future this is all happening a lot and we have a lot of threads along the same theme we can look at creating a new forum to house them, although even in their own forum people will still have to use the search facility :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE