What a let down!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Just been trying out my new Crusader cup stand & Green heat Fuel combo, the idea is good, but it does'nt work!
The fuel sachets do not burn for 20-25 minutes as advertised, more like 15 minutes, which will barely produce a rolling boil (even with a lid on). The fuel does not burn hot enough.
I have'nt tried it with Hexi yet (I don't like using the stuff) but I my try BBQ matches.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Neil1

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have the stoves now and I have found a similar thing actually.

However the fuel well on the stove once filled with greenheat (2 sachets) will burn long enough to do the job well enough for a nice cuppa (this is with the crusader filled to just under the top line and not to the brim).

I would imagine hexi would be slightly better heat wise but much more messy (as wel all know).

Having said all that for a lightweight and highly package set the Crusader Cup and cooker isnt a bad peice of kit, although to my mind it'll never beat my Swedish mess kit.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive heard that there is a stainless version of the Swedish military mess kit/stove cooker thingy,any ideas where i can buy one from ect.Thanks

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well Neil if your into greenheat for brews go for a US Canteen cup and stand - the cups metals thinner and one sachet (on a small stick base) works fine for me as Leon can confirm from Islay.

The crusaders strength and maybe its downfull seems to be in the thickness of the metal.

But like all things its courses for horse.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Actually had the opposite effect on me Rich, I immediately placed an order for one with Gary. :)

I can see how the hexi/greenheat might struggle, but i'm sure this cooker is just begging for a mini photon, or some such variant.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great Pebble said:
It's a good idea, but the attraction for me was the compact bottle/cup/burner package. Having to carry an extra would defeat the purpose a tad.

Shame, 'cos it would be an excellent setup.

Well, you have to carry the greenheat or hexy, I dont really see the difference. I've a plan in my mind for this, for a tailor made stove just to do the job. Just big enough to boil water, nothing more complex than that. It will only need a fuel capacity of 20mls. The well in the botton of the existing stove will hold almost that. The "photon" variant will only need to be about 1/2 an inch high. You could carry enough fuel in your pocket inside a small bottle for a couple of brews. Then just refill from your main fuel bottle when you unpack at night.

mmp021.jpg

The above gives you an idea of all you'd need to carry. The photon (or a custom made variant) and a small bottle with 40mls of fuel (enough to bring 300mls of water to a rolling boil, twice). The above stove is 29mm high by 54mm wide. It has a capacity of 40mls, so could be made smaller if your purpose was just to boil 300mls each time. The total weight of the above stove, fuel bottle and 40mls of fuel, is 100g exactly on my kitchen scales. I get 1 sachet of greenheat weighing in at 40g. So put 3x greenheat sachets in your hand, and you're holding more than my stove and full fuel bottle. Plus... the above is infinitely refillable with cheap fuel. The same fuel that your trangia uses if you also carry one of those.

Good idea? :super:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Help, I have the cooker and cup, but need a lid, has anyone got any idea where I can get one???? :)

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've never seen one of the lids yet :(

I know the photon's tiny but It's something I'd have to make for a stove I'd have to buy when I've already got a solution that does more or less the same job...

You do have a point about having to carry fuel as well which I hadn't really thought about. All the more reason just to stick with what I've got as the only real reason for picking up the gel burner was siize/convenience.

I might even get around to building a photon type stove some evening during the winter, just for the sake of something to do on a dark evening. It's not as if they cost anything :)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Martyn your a one - good idea though and looking at it I think your mini photo will fit in the fuel well and can be left there when packed.

Lids - afriad you need to make one - but its easy to do - get a sheet of Ali, draw round you cups rim ad a couple of mils - cut it out - file off the burrs. place the lid on the cup and then bend down the lip. Drill a small hole off centre to allow steam to escape and then attach a handle - heyy presto lid!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Lids! I use the black plastic mug that fits on top of the 58 water bottle. Thats what attracted me to the system over the US version (which I have too) you have a water bottle (the wide neck makes it easier to use with a Millbank bag), a good sized cooking pot in the crusader mug and another large cup that can be used to eat or drink from. This all packs away into a neat & compact system. If to this you add one of Gary's pot hangers and we find a solution to the naff fuel situation, you've got all bases covered.
Neil1

J

Jamie

Gary

Whats the crusader set up like with wetfire? Have you tested it yet?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Jamie said:
Gary

Whats the crusader set up like with wetfire? Have you tested it yet?

Very expensive cooking, I dare say :yikes:

Thanks for the advice on the lid situatuion, ill have a go.

Gary, it might be a good sideline for you.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Chopper, any more side lines and I'd walk like a crab!!

Just a thought but all those who bought the greenheat from safeway/morrisons at least your brews will be enjoyable eh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE