What a great night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tonight I thought I'd take a visit to a badger set for the first time in ages. I live in a different town now but I decided to take the 40 minute drive over to see how things were these days.
The route I'd planned to get there would hopefully let me catch a glimpse of some Sika I've seen lately and if the wind was right I could even spot a badger or two if I was lucky. As it happens it took me a while to find the set again and I'd stood on that many twigs and made too much noise I was never going to see anything.
I was a little worried at what I might find tonight as I hacked my way through the bracken and brambles, but to my joy I stumbled across what still looks like a very active set :)

A few pics ....

The walk in
DSC01096.jpg

DSC01097.jpg

As I turned the corner to hopefully see the Sika I was met with these ladies instead
DSC01098.jpg

DSC01099.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

I was going to sit a while and see if any deer turned up, but I thought the cows would keep them away so I cut back into the trees and followed some tracks.
DSC01101.jpg

I found a few flattened down areas where they'd obviously been earlier but no sightings. Another check of the wind direction and I set off towards the badger set.

Kuksa anyone ?
DSC01102.jpg

After fighting my way through shoulder high bracken and tangled bramble I found the area where I thought the set was. The ground was bare so something was obviously munching the new bracken shoots.
DSC01106.jpg

Then I found these .....
DSC01103.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

:red: :red: :red: :red:

At least six very active holes so it would appear there's still a good sized family living there.

I had a quick look round and then made myself scarce, I wasn't going to see any tonight as I was like a bull in a china shop trying to find the set earlier.
I am going to blag a 400mm lens off a guy at work and go back for some shots one night soon though.

I was even treated to a rainbow on the walk back to the car.
DSC01107.jpg

Even though I didn't see any deer or badgers tonight I'm still well chuffed :approve:

Last edited:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice one Rich.

There's a stretch of the main road near me that has on average over 20 Badger roadkills per year.
There's also Otter roadkill on the increase too.

I try and check the carcasses in case they've been dumped by baiters but luckily?:rolleyes: it seems they are just victims of accidents.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Good one matey looks like you had a nice evening whilst I on the other hand had a torrid night trying to be patient with 3 lads at scouts who seemed intent on spoiling everyone elses night!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Wish I had just gone for a bimble.

ahhh how medicinal is a nice glass of red wine!!!

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
NIce one Rich, I think I would have done the same all those years ago.

I'm just glad I was there at the time they were discussing it and managed to put a stop to it.
Anyway that's water under the bridge now and it's good to know they're still doing well.

And it gives me a good excuse to visit again :D

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nice pics and a good story Rich, glad theres still Badgers there, looks like a good bit of country.Neary got knocked off my bike earlier a deer(think it was Roe, jumped a fence straight infront of me, luckily i was going up hill at the time otherwise it would have been a very close call) as for Badgers not come across any sets round here, im sure they must be about somewhere as i have seen the odd road kill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE