What’s this cheeky little chappy called?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I think it is either Japanese or a cross between that and Chinese one. European quince is clearly a tree and the fruit hangs differently, the other two are bushes or very small trees in case of pure Chinese quince.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a Japanese quince.
It's looking exactly the same as the two bushes in my garden.
The fruits are not ever good eating, but they make a really good jelly with sugar added. It's known as membrilo, or cotignac.
We had a long thread on them a few years back. I'll see if I can find a link.

If you gather a bowlful of the fruits, and they'll feel almost as if they're stuck to the branches, virtually no stalks, and put it in a room, close the door and when you open the room a little while later, there'll be what is about the nicest room fragrancer I have ever found :) Traditionally folks put them on top of kitchen dressers to let them dry off (they go wrinkled and brown and almost nut like) and scent the room through Winter.

The jelly sets really quickly, really firmly, the spatters are brutal, take care if you boil it up.

M

Reactions: Broch

Mountain Yeti

Jun 16, 2020
Groundskeepers cottage, Hogwarts
Thank you everyone! Loving the thought of making quince jellies and playing with some recipes.

I’ve added another pic to the Dropbox. I originally thought they were damsons but they haven’t come purple and are very ripe st the moment! Any ideas?

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE