whadda ya reckon? ebay fraud or bargain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn't go near it if I was you. If it was a t-shirt or a jumper etc then a decent copy doesn't really matter. Seeing as it's supposed to be a piece of performance outerwear the chances of it actually being made from goretex and it working for that price are fairly slim.

I'd save your money and look for something else if I was you.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Agreed, he's probably nipping up to the market in Shenzhen and buying them there. I bought a load of knock-off North Face kit in Beijing's silk market. The down sleeping bags are still going strong ten years later, although the cheap zippers have needed replacing. The goretex jacket, however, was made of a fake material with unsealed seams, and lasted about as long as a fart in a fan factory.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Leave it mate,you are comming to the Arctic with us I think?
You would be better off with a Swedish M90 parka,you can get them anywhere,they are cheap and Lars Falts swears by them!!
My best.
Chris.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
BushEd - Chris's advice is sound, the M90's are superb kit.

As you are looking at the peak performance knock off for use on the Arctic Exped...walk away...;)
  • The only time you will be able to prove it really works in extreme cold for a sustained period is, on the Exped
  • Relying on an unknown quantity in such conditions is not a good move :)
  • There is no 'it does not keep me warm' option...
  • The risk may cause regret, when for similar money you can get tried and trusted kit and have one less thing to be concerned with?

For an appropriate jacket up to £50 I'd also consider the following

M65 Fishtail Parka or the N3B Parka in Olive or in black.

Both M65 and N3B (N-3B) are proven very cold weather outer clothing.

I am very lucky and got a North Face down Ice jacket at a good price...prior to getting it I looked at a lot of jackets and the M90 and N3B were the front runners.

Tom

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've found from bad past experiences that the price of ebay eastern imports are usually to good to be true.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The M90 parka is made to be packed down into a small volume. But a down parka is smaller, lighter and warmer still. Mountain equipment Lightline jacket is the best value garnment I own.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you want a decent parka or similar gear, have a look at TKMaxx.

As far as I know The stuff there is all genuine gear, just usually last seasons styles/colours etc.

I've had some superb bargains from this place over the last few years:)

I also wouldn't touch that ebay thing, with a long stick and gloves on!

R.B.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
and if you needed any more advice...
I agree more for street wear than anything serious,
not for that price anyway!

A few years back The North face made a similar jacket,
again Down filled and waterproof, the price a whopping £500.00!:Wow:
(I think I'll stick to fleeces and army jackets!:rolleyes: )

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I looked ino these when I was looking for a goretex for the missus. Having read a book about conditions in many Chinese factories (prisons there are run as factories, free to use inmates as slave labour for example) even if the quality was up to par I decided I couldn't risk endorsing that system so spent 3 times as much sourcing one in the UK.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I got caught by ebay some time ago......North Face BNWT you now the adverts!
Anyway you can tell the fakes cause the logo's on the inside of the jackets are not taped.
Zip broke very quickly and I doubt it was goretext. If it seems to good to be true it probably is. If you want a bargain off ebay I would look a 2nd hand (vgc) as there is a lot better chance they are not poor copies.
D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I have to say, that you get what you pay for, and if you pay knock off prices, well what do you expect?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I too can recomend the M90 swedish parka. In fact I own 2 of them, one is Hooded, and is a heavy canvas type fabric. The other is unhooded and is softer thinner fabric. They are SO comfortable and practical. I keep one for work, one for going out in....:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE