Wet snow advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I was working out at Princetown this morning and it was snowing but landing as slush I was wearing waterproofs but was dripping wet by the time I had finished. What I was wondering is what sort of shelter you would build in those conditions. Normally I like debris shelters but I think the snow would have dripped through but it was too heavy for a tarp.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Maybe a tarp with a steep angle so that the weight of the snow causes it to run down the tarp sooner than sit on top of it. Try and position the tarp so that the longest open side is against a hill. This will then give you protection on two sides. It depends also on wind direction as this method will create a wind tunnel if one of the open ends are facing into the wind. You could try pegging down one of the open ends( if the tarps big enough) and then once your under it, shove your pack in the other end. You just have condensation to think about then. The whole thing needs only to be about 3 foot high off the ground, just big enough to get in, the less surface area you have exposed to the snow, the less chance you have of it falling in under the weight.
i suppose you could build a debris shelter but put your tarp over the frame and the debris on top. I personally wouldnt build a debris shelter in the snow, it takes too long and the debris is already covered in snow. for me the idea is to construct a shelter quickly with minimum effort in order to keep warm and dry. Just a thought.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE