Wet formed friction folder pouch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Very nice, clean lines and great fit and finish.

Is it all 3mm? Also how do you protect the knife from the moisture whilst forming?

Sorry for all the Q`s just have a knife in mind that i need to make a sheath for. :)

Thanks!

3 layers of 3mm (a welt though not needed for protecting the stitching adds a degree of wiggle room for the fit and also strength.

I skived the tab for the d ring right down to a thin end and folded inwards to aid in "locking" the knife into the sheath.

I coated the blade in vaseline and wrapped the entire knife in clingfilm.
The back belt loop is more for a horizontal carry on a bag strap. If on my belt I would hang from the d ring via a dangler clip.

Cheers

Mike

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks!

3 layers of 3mm (a welt though not needed for protecting the stitching adds a degree of wiggle room for the fit and also strength.

I skived the tab for the d ring right down to a thin end and folded inwards to aid in "locking" the knife into the sheath.

I coated the blade in vaseline and wrapped the entire knife in clingfilm.
The back belt loop is more for a horizontal carry on a bag strap. If on my belt I would hang from the d ring via a dangler clip.

Cheers

Mike

Great stuff. Few more sorry,

Did you form the front piece first, let it dry then mark and stitch it to the back?
Also did you just form it by hand or use tools? boning peg etc?

Thanks.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Great stuff. Few more sorry,

Did you form the front piece first, let it dry then mark and stitch it to the back?
Also did you just form it by hand or use tools? boning peg etc?

Thanks.

So I positioning the knife on an old bread board and used some blue tack to hold it in position. Then I draped the damp 3mm leather over the top and stapled it down on one side, loosely following the countours over the knife with the leather I then stapled it down on the other side. Then I set to work with a series of different rounded tools to shape the leather over the knife (back end of a teaspoon, edge burnisher etc.) - adding cuts in the edges of the leather to stop it bunching up and restapling to tighten the leather and take up the slack. Once happy I dried it off with a hair dryer removed the knife and marked the edge of the pouch with calipers giving me enough width to stitch in. I cut and shaped the front piece and marked my stitch groove then glued onto the welt and back piece before using my stitching pincers to make the stitch holes.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mike

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
So I positioning the knife on an old bread board and used some blue tack to hold it in position. Then I draped the damp 3mm leather over the top and stapled it down on one side, loosely following the countours over the knife with the leather I then stapled it down on the other side. Then I set to work with a series of different rounded tools to shape the leather over the knife (back end of a teaspoon, edge burnisher etc.) - adding cuts in the edges of the leather to stop it bunching up and restapling to tighten the leather and take up the slack. Once happy I dried it off with a hair dryer removed the knife and marked the edge of the pouch with calipers giving me enough width to stitch in. I cut and shaped the front piece and marked my stitch groove then glued onto the welt and back piece before using my stitching pincers to make the stitch holes.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mike

That certainly does!
Cheers bud.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Now that's a rather stunning wee ensemble. Really nice work that. (Thinks; would look lovely in brown for my svord!) Really like that.

GB.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Upton your instructions (Read "your fault") I have given it a shot. Thanks for the tips will let you know how it gets on :)
Reminds me of a biology class an age ago.

IMAG4569_zpstali8bmo.jpg

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I reckon I know what knife thats for.
looking good master bowyer.

you say you skivved the loop for d ring? as in shaved or thinned it down?
thanks for the extra pics even tidier work than originally thought

Yup thinned it down to a taper.

Upton your instructions (Read "your fault") I have given it a shot. Thanks for the tips will let you know how it gets on :)
Reminds me of a biology class an age ago.

IMAG4569_zpstali8bmo.jpg

Looking good. A staple gun would make your life easier though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE