wet and dry method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marty66

Apr 12, 2009
dorchester dorset
hi all ,how many of you guys sharpen with this method im finding it very good i, want to get a proper strop cos trying to get a 2" leather belt is hopeless. after reading the thread on moras ive finished with a secondary bevel with pleasing results. also any pointers on alternative stropping pastes would be welcome.

thanks,

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
chalk and toothpaste have both worked as stropping agents for me. Toothpaste has the added bonus that it makes everything smell minty:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Green or pink green buffing compound is fantastically efficient. Autosol metal polish (Halfords) works well.

For a strop glue a good sized lump of leather on a REALLY flat surface - my "top tip" is old plastic covered "place mats". Available in most charity shops or kitchen cupboard. Flat, rigid, about A4 size (so photomount a whole sheet of wet and dry on one side)

Easy as.

Strangely I'm just putting together a best of the best "el cheapo" sharpening kit for someone (I included pink green buffing compound - a lifetime supply for £2)

Red

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Green or pink green buffing compound is fantastically efficient. Autosol metal polish (Halfords) works well.

For a strop glue a good sized lump of leather on a REALLY flat surface - my "top tip" is old plastic covered "place mats". Available in most charity shops or kitchen cupboard. Flat, rigid, about A4 size (so photomount a whole sheet of wet and dry on one side)

Easy as.

Strangely I'm just putting together a best of the best "el cheapo" sharpening kit for someone (I included pink green buffing compound - a lifetime supply for £2)

Red

failing the place mat, you can pick up the clip-it style picture frames pretty cheap, just make sure you get the plastic fronted ones if you want to stick it in your ruckack rather than a glass one.

plus one on the vote for autosol, stick it on the inside of a piece of cornflake box. t-cut scratch remover works well too.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE