wet and cold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
I sew linen for re-enactors because it's not supposed to flare the way cotton does with a naked flame. But as an underneath layer it's marvellous. It sort of breathes itself dry even under damp wool.
I got soaked to the skin four times last week, (four different sites, four different events, four different periods :( ) and the only time I was comfortable was in Iron age and then in Medieval style linen and wool. Modern clothing was still damp having driven home in a heated car; 20 minutes in sunshine and my wool cloak and skirts were dry again. :) Pity about the shoes though.....wet courrans aren't nice things :rolleyes:
For field work I like silk underneath.....it's warmer, honest :eek: See
http://www.patra.com/facts.asp
Silk and wool, you can wear them wet and they're still warm. No need to strip off to the skin, just wring out the layers bit by bit and let your body heat dry them off if you haven't got a fire going. Damp wool swells a bit and stops the wind chill too. Goats wool is supposed to be the best for shedding the rain.
On the other hand, I've never gone into an arctic river with them to extreme test :D

Cheers,
Toddy

I've got a problem with smilies, haven't I? Sorry folks, no hands on line!

Toddy,
come to visit me and we can test your cloth! I am a strong believer of the natural clothing, woll and fur. Never had silk or linen but will have a go and see how they do. Thanks for the tip.

cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Abbe,
I haven't worn fur since I was a very little girl (made the connection between my new coney skin coat, hat and muff and the wee boy next door's pet rabbit :( ) How do you find it to wear when it's wet? Cold, I can really see it's benefits, but our climate is rarely that cold, but it is always damp. Do you oil the furs to keep them in good condition or does that just clog them up?

Supposed to be going to Finland next year....if I get to Sweden I'll let you know :) Incidentally Ikea are selling good linen just now for £3.50 a metre.

Cheers,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Face it... if you're going somewhere cold and you're likely to get wet your best option is neoprene base layer, wool mid layer and goretex outer so while you're drying everything else out you can keep warm by peeing in your wetsuit... hmmm..... warrrrm!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Squidders said:
Face it... if you're going somewhere cold and you're likely to get wet your best option is neoprene base layer, wool mid layer and goretex outer so while you're drying everything else out you can keep warm by peeing in your wetsuit... hmmm..... warrrrm!

I used to do white water canoeing and one guy did just that every time he was out on the river.....and wondered why he could never get a date :p No-one ever wanted to buy his second hand kit either! Turns out we were terribly innocent in our yeugh factor, and the practice is *supposedly* quite common :eek:
But, I tell you, surf canoeing didn't half make your wetsuit stink, heaven alone knows what combining the two must be like. :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Toddy said:
I used to do white water canoeing and one guy did just that every time he was out on the river.....and wondered why he could never get a date :p No-one ever wanted to buy his second hand kit either! Turns out we were terribly innocent in our yeugh factor, and the practice is *supposedly* quite common :eek:
But, I tell you, surf canoeing didn't half make your wetsuit stink, heaven alone knows what combining the two must be like. :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy
Mmm, reminds me of when I spent a week teaching offshore racing in a hired yacht - storms solid for two days, two crew sick (really, properly sick) meant that two of us were doing 24 hour shifts - we got a dunking so many times (3 90 knockdowns :eek: ) that we donned wetsuits for warmth... imagine the stink of taking them off after 24 hours, in a confined cabin. And yes, no pee breaks :eek:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
Hi Abbe,
I haven't worn fur since I was a very little girl (made the connection between my new coney skin coat, hat and muff and the wee boy next door's pet rabbit :( ) How do you find it to wear when it's wet? Cold, I can really see it's benefits, but our climate is rarely that cold, but it is always damp. Do you oil the furs to keep them in good condition or does that just clog them up?

Supposed to be going to Finland next year....if I get to Sweden I'll let you know :) Incidentally Ikea are selling good linen just now for £3.50 a metre.

Cheers,
Toddy

Where do you go to Finland? My wife is from Finland and we will spend the summer there. We are in the Kuusamo area. Thanks for the tip with Ikea. ;-)
I dont do anything with the reindeer fur I have, it has its natural oil and thats enough for me and works like a charm. Very warm, now when it gets warmer I am going to fix me my fur cap made out of my fox fur I have, I am going to egg tan him and smoke the fur. I guess England is a real challange with all the dampness.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE