West Yorkshire meetup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Any west yorkshire bushcrafters interested in a meetup some time before the end of the year for skills practice, walk in the woods etc? there must be a few of us now! I'm free after September (busy with a dissertation at the moment) and keen to get out in the woods for a change.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I'm not in westyorks any more :( but could combine a visit to the olds and a walk in the woods to put some names to faces i'll keep an eye out on this thread let me know if any thing goes on olds are in Huddersfield i've not played out in the pennines for a long time.:D

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sounds good, perhaps if anyone interest can just ping this thread with a message it can be the basis for a West Yorks contact list for anything bushcrafty in the future? I don't see any reason too that the catchment area could n't be a little bit wider.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
redcollective said:
Hi Jim, that's three possibles then (over the border is perfectly acceptable :)

Born in Bradford, I hasten to add. Someone has to show these benighted Mancs the Proper Way :D

redcollective said:
... how many does it take to make a moot?

I'd say any value >= 2. ;)

So who fancies a wander up Black Hill. It *is* the most obvious landmark...

...and conveniently located, at least for me :D

Or someone else's suggestion - a pub, perhaps :cool:

Jim.

Jim.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
[font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Black Hill is mostly peat yes? I'd be up for it - I've a map somewhere with a circular wal[/font][font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]k from Crowden in Longdendale (that's the right black hill yes?).

Any other suggestions folks?

[/font][font=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif]
[/font]

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Ok so far that's

jdlenton
bushlade
JimH
Isshogai
and myself

who are interested.

Perhaps this should be a north of england meet then. When are all you folks free to do something - any weeks/months out of the question? Myself I finish up my university work this weekend so are looking fairly free from now on - so I'm prepared to be flexible. Even Jims suggestion of a pub would be nice if a walk or woodland foray is to much hassle to organise.

ganit

Jul 13, 2005
Pendle
I live in Nelson NE Lancs, 7 miles from W Yorks, id like to come along to any meet ups too.
Walks, woods whatever, all sounds good to me.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
i just had a butchers around after seeing that another member Eds is in our area.

think a west yorkshire gathering of any kind would be good.....even if it is just a wander on't'hills.

am in wakefield area

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
redcollective said:
Black Hill is mostly peat yes?

Oh, yes! Though the new (ish) slab path to protect the Pennine Way route is a great boon...

redcollective said:
I'd be up for it - I've a map somewhere with a circular walk from Crowden in Longdendale (that's the right black hill yes?).

Spot on. The walk from Crowden up to Black Hill and back around the ridges is about 10 miles/2000ft, or there is a low-level wander by the stream if ppl feel less energetic.

...better to pick a dry day (after a dry week), too. Or a frozen one!

redcollective said:
Any other suggestions folks?

With my biker's head on, there's always the Snake Inn or the Cat & Fiddle :cool:

Jim.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
redcollective said:
Ok so far that's

jdlenton
bushlade
JimH
Isshogai
and myself

who are interested.

Perhaps this should be a north of england meet then. When are all you folks free to do something - any weeks/months out of the question?

Fairly free 'til Christmas, but a canoe on order means some of my time will end up being spent in New Toyland :rolleyes:

Hmm, October - first month of the paddling season :eek:

Jim.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Been offline for a little while since my computer decided to pass to the other side last week - looks like the North meet thread looks more promising - should a MOD close this thread or something in favour of the other?

Anyone reading this thread please steer yourself to the North Meet thread.

cookie

Oct 11, 2005
leeds
hi cookie here just a littilenote new to bushcraft,not done eny as yey but willing to learn if you have the patience

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE