West Wales Group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just testing the water here...
Would anyone be interested in forming a West Wales regional Group?
I am thinking of an informal kind of thing, small numbers, small meets, informal sharing of ideas, reasonably frequent mets (monthly?) at a variety of sites in West Wales - I have a couple of places in mind, from open hills to a small wood I have perm on as well as a comercial campsite (not GYM)
Can all those interested give their thoughts?
John

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Where do you anticipate your eastern boundary to be John?
I've got quite a bit on my plate at the moment, amongst which are enquires to get a small venue for a small gathering up this way.
The idea sounds great and if I can get along to a few more meets, then also great.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'd be interested, purely as an interloper from the South:D but it's not going to be as regular as i would like as we just found out that Jed Jnr is going to get a little brother or sister in July!:eek: Deep Joy!:D :D :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well...I guess the boundaries could be fairly flexible!
It could be that it is more about MEETING in West Wales rather than living with one foot in the Irish sea... so Jed and Ogri COULD qualify:D
Where are you based Maynman? I am well up north but if you are closeish we could easily meet up!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Only four replies so far...I know there are more West Walians out there...have I upset EVERYONE in the area?:eek:
Tell me what you think of the idea - even if you think it stinks!
John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm interested John, but at the moment, until my knee is fixed I have to rely on lifts :eek: :eek:

Many moons ago I used to camp a lot near Rhayader, do you every go there?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rhayader?
Nope I aint camped there, though I have paddled (and swum) the river there!
At present I am thinking of Gelli Campsite, a tiny wood near me (prospects of using more woods for foraging etc but sleeping only in one small wood), the open hils of the Preselis, costal areas etc but hopefully those who join up in the group will increase the number of known sites as we go.
Like Rhyader!
Hope you heal fast
John

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
hi john i could be interested in a regular meet up, although regular for me could be difficult depending on shifts etc :rolleyes: , thisgelli campsite, would it be near gellilydan, just getting an idea of distance, thats about 1hrs drive for me, does that count as local :D

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Just noticed this thread, count me in.
Congratulations Jed great news.
Hopefully there will be somenice weather on the way its a bit wet at the mo.

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sorry for taking this off topic John, but I'm going to add my congratulations to Jed on the anticipated arrival - all the best to Mrs Jed too!:beerchug:

Rhayader is about 20 minutes through the lanes from me, so long as theres no sheep/cattle/water crossing the road, then it could be hours!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Spencer, Have a pre-emptive congrats from me aswell mate! Good luck to you both.:)

Back to the main subject, I'm looking into finding land down my way to use, I'll keep you all appraised of the situation if I get somewhere.

maynman

Sep 26, 2006
pembrokeshire/west wales
HI folks
I live near hayscastle, so i can travel anywhere for a meet.
I have been to yellow wood near hereford a few times, and found that to be a good wood for a bushcraft session, and it would be better for ogri to get to.:)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've been watching this thread and feel that it has spread from West Wales outwards and so has kind of bumped me in the lack of response from those closer to Johns call.

I spend a good percentage of my 'crafting time in Wales so a dedicated spot to meet that is home to the great bearded one tickles my pickle.

Of course I''m a [insert whatever name an Englishman deserves] but I do have some Welsh heristry <(made up word) in that my great Grandma was a Williams from the valleys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE