Went to buy knife, but ran into a prob.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
who knows, matey, all I can say is that my son and daughter already have there own knives, they use them to help with cutting foods for cooking, heavily supervised though as there only two:D

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Astonishing how things have changed. Forty years ago at 15 I applied for my own shotgum licence and walked half a mile to my shoot with an 8" Bowie hanging from my belt! Nobody batted an eyelid!

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
There is no exemption to the age limit for buying knives, other than to buy razor blades with less than 1mm of exposed blades (think gilette razors) or where the knives are designed for domestic purchases (age limit is 16 here), however many stores make it policy not to sell anything sharp or pointy (or blunt in some cases) to under 18s.

I believe the law does somewhere state that, like with alcohol and cigarettes, an over-18 can't buy a knife on behalf of an under-18, however, if it is gifted, common sense prevails in the majority of cases.

I won't go into the legislation as it's covered in various places on this site and the Internet, and I'll no doubt bore everyone to sleep, but if and when you get the knife, however that may be, just make sure you know, understand and act upon what the law says. I agree, some of the laws could be changed and possibly improved, but knowing what they state will keep you on the right side of the law. All it takes is for an action to be taken the wrong way or someone to call the police saying a "youth" is walking around with a knife and you'll end up having to explain why you've got it. I know it's a pain but until the law is changed, I wouldn't imagine it getting any better.

That said, enjoy the knife!

Last edited:

walshy155

Banned
Aug 10, 2011
Llanelli, South Wales
Although there's an exemption allowing under 18s to buy non-locking folders under 3", many stores make it policy not to sell anything sharp or pointy (or blunt in some cases) to under 18s.

I believe the law does somewhere state that, like with alcohol and cigarettes, an over-18 can't buy a knife on behalf of an under-18, however, if it is gifted, common sense prevails in the majority of cases.

I won't go into the legislation as it's covered in various places on this site and the Internet, and I'll no doubt bore everyone to sleep, but if and when you get the knife, however that may be, just make sure you know, understand and act upon what the law says. I agree, some of the laws could be changed and possibly improved, but knowing what they state will keep you on the right side of the law. All it takes is for an action to be taken the wrong way or someone to call the police saying a "youth" is walking around with a knife and you'll end up having to explain why you've got it. I know it's a pain but until the law is changed, I wouldn't imagine it getting any better.

That said, enjoy the knife!

Whenever I have the knife, I will be with my father anyway, were going down Pembrey woods soon.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
In that case you'll be fine mate. As I'm sure you know, there's so much negativity regarding knives and (as much as I hate term being used this way) youths that you just have to be extra careful with it unfortunately.

Enjoy yourself and let us know how you get on mate

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Astonishing how things have changed. Forty years ago at 15 I applied for my own shotgum licence and walked half a mile to my shoot with an 8" Bowie hanging from my belt! Nobody batted an eyelid!

I used to take a rifle to school :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I made one for my lad when he was 4. How sad thinking about it, surely a father should be able to buy his son a knife?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Here's a link to the relevant bit of legislation http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/141A could someone please point me to the exception for sub 3 inch folding blades in this section, I'm fairly sure that only applies to section 139.

Found it.
Section 141A(1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (sale of knives or certain articles with blade or point to persons under sixteen) shall not apply to —
(a) a folding pocket-knife if the cutting edge of its blade does not exceed 7.62 centimeters (3 inches).
Full legislation here.
linky

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
Hi folks

Danzo from BB here, I don't get over here much nowadays but Tony asked me to drop by tto comment on ths thread.

It is NOT actually illegal for someone under the age of 18 to buy a knife. It is an offence for anyone to sell a knife to anyone under the age of 18. The seller commits the crime, not the young person. The exception is sub 3" folding knives that don't lock, what we term a "UK legal EDC" and which can be sold to anyone.

The fact that it isn't illegal for a young person to buy a knife does NOT mean they should try and do so, as by doing so, if succesful they have made a criminal of the seller. It's very possible that the seller could end up being prosecuted and be fined, have their business shut down, or much worse. I am sure no responsible young person who frequents these forums would want that to happen.

However the good news is that there are no restrictions on adults buying knives for young people, or even them being carried by young people within the normal parameters of the law, with the impoertant addition of never taking a knife onto school premises. In theory a sub 3" folder that does not lock is exempt from this provision but I wouldn't recommend a young person testing that in school, unless authorised by a teacher or youth leader of some sort who works on the premises.

So by all means get a parent to buy the knife and then carry and use it in appropriate way, and preferably supervised by a responsible adult.

Danzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE