Went for a lunch time stroll...

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Went for a stroll out onto the common outside my office today to have my lunch in the sun...Look who i found on my way around.

187462703_c86244464a_o.jpg

187462702_c53ad5ad99.jpg

187462700_4220bc8d74_o.jpg

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
leon-b said:
is that a red deer
leon

Hi leon, fraid not mate, they are Roe Deer.

As you can see by the picture Roe's have a foxy red summer coat, which goes grey colour in the winter.

brian said:
Andy,

lovely pictures mate, how far away were you?

Brian

The top picture I was about 40 metres away the other two I was about 10 metres away tops and was sat down on the edge of the hollow that he is lying in for about 5 minutes and he didnt move a muscle. I came back on my way back to the office and he was still bathing in the sun in the same place just munching on the grass, brambles and young birch shoots.

Absolutley beautiful creatures, love coming out to find and watching them in my lunch breaks.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Deer are my favourite animal, a day for me is perfect if I see just one of them. Many a time I've seen one not ten minutes after getting "on the ground", and I would have been glad if I had to go home there and then! I also enjoy seeing pictures of these magnificent creatures, thanks for posting the pictures.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Excellent Photos Andy, more fallow deer down my way but I’m never able to catch them on camera.

I think you should have changed your signature for this post though :rolleyes:
Only joking :D
P@ul

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Two questions:

1: Got any jobs in your office?
2: How much better was your afternoon?

I'm sure the answer to 2 is much - fabulous pictures, great technique and light. One day I hope to get some pics like that.

Richard

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Andy,

you were lucky to find such a contented deer who seemed happy with your presence mate, must have made the rest of your day pretty good.

Brian

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Excellent pics andy. if i went for a lunchtime stroll (i also work in an office) the only dear i would see are the old ones with walking sticks! :D they are not too keen on having their photo took either :cool: ...thanks for sharing..stu

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
stovie said:
Cool Pics mate. How come she wasn't spooked?

The female in the top pic was being a lot more cautious than the young male in the other two pics. I took some more pics of one other deer, a young adolesant that I'd saw was roughly 2 or 3 yrs old from the size of his antlers and he let me get fairly close but still bounced off once i got within 20 metres or so.

I have not idea why the young male in the last two pics was so content with my presence though. I felt him looking at me before I saw him, so i guess i didnt spook him. I just stalked in very slowly and gently sat down on the bank and he stayed. I felt very priviledged to share it with him.

I thought to start with that he might have been injured as there are often dog walkers on the common, but as you can see from the photos he hardly looked distressed on in pain, so I guess he was just very comfortable with me being there.

EDIT...

This was the other picture that I mentioned above:

187599943_92f39x5529.jpg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Very nice andy lovely shots mate what did you use to take them?

I bet you had a smile from ear to ear when you got back in the office.:D

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE