Planning Weekend getaway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel Green

Dec 16, 2019
Milton keynes
My friend and I have both done some basic survival training through true ways survival courses, was great fun and were looking to get away from the world in 2020 and camp up by the sea side with a fire and subsistence fish for 2 or three days.

Were city boys and outside the training, camping is new to us, could anyone recommend a good place to camp that allows fires and close to the sea where we could fish? And anything else we need to know would we great.

Really appreciate everyone's advice

Thanks
Dan

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buy fish. Frozen or you do it. This is not the trip to depend upon exploring for food.
Maybe next time. Pack the herbs and spices strictly for enjoyment.

Operate from a position of strength = you have food for hot winter meals.
Now you research what to do on the next trip and the third trip.

Find the campsites. One of three will suit you best. Organize the fire and the wood if you're allowed.
I don't leave home, even for a day in the forest, without the Coleman 533 petrol stove for any weather.

Dan, I wish you guys well. Go putz around and poke into things with sticks.
I'd camp in the same place 5 times before I moved. Carve a spoon or three.
Familiarity allows your mind to drift the sunrises, sunsets and stuff in between.

Daniel Green

Dec 16, 2019
Milton keynes
Thanks Robson Valley,

I think you're right, relying on fish would be really short sighted, but the idea is it would be a little boost if we could, so I'm still keen to camp up by the sea if there's any suitable locations

I should have mentioned that we would go in the summer, winter would be a little too much for us as novices

Could you recommend a camping area?

Thanks
Dan

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
How far do you want to travel to get to your site?
The southwest has some lovely coastal campsites. My favourite is at porlock near minehead north somerset. Easy to find. You can walk down a tiny Lane to the pebble beach. Get a tide timetable and be careful. Shops nearby also a chippy if you get hungry and fancy pies or fish and chips.
It's realy basic but has showers washing up electric kettle and microwave if needed. Quiet site and cheap. Views across to Welsh coast. Lots of good hikes.
It's called sparkhays campsite. No fires but you could use a fire pit or a barbecue no problem. Fire on campsites are allowed on several sites on exmoor. Not particularly coastal but only a short car ride away to fish if you want.
Suggest you get a copy of a book called Tiny campsites by Dixie Wells. Plenty of ideas there all over the country. I
I can realy only tell you about my area, which is exmoor.
You could always come to the moot in Wales in August. Fires allowed there and it's great fun. Sea fishing nearby too! Plus plenty of "classes" to learn more things. I've been for past two summer's and I have the dates in my diary for 2020.
Wherever you go have fun.... and don't forget waterproofs no matter what the forcast says!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If open wood fires are allowed, all the best camping spots have already been found.
They are usually marked by one of more rings of fire stones and charcoal.
That makes site selection a whole lot easier.
The placement of the stones might give you clues about fire set type and prevailing breeze directions.

Check my address: no reall practical fishing in my vertical scenery.
Dozens of heavenly camp sites. Mid summers, you share with the bears.
Everything of yours is theirs and they won't discuss it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My friend and I have both done some basic survival training through true ways survival courses, was great fun and were looking to get away from the world in 2020 and camp up by the sea side with a fire and subsistence fish for 2 or three days.

Were city boys and outside the training, camping is new to us, could anyone recommend a good place to camp that allows fires and close to the sea where we could fish? And anything else we need to know would we great.

Really appreciate everyone's advice

Thanks
Dan

From Milton Keynes you can easily travel East, West or South to get to the coast (although, my favourite coastal wild camping is West Scotland where you can forage shellfish off the rocks as well as line fishing :)). If you go west you can get out on the coast in Pembrokeshire and there are a few good places that allow camp fires. For example:

http://www.campingwildwales.co.uk/index.html this camp site is about a km from the sea

or

https://www.celtic-camping.co.uk/ which is a bit more commercial but within a short walk of some good rock fishing (take care!)

Aim to enjoy yourselves rather than make it a chore; build up to going totally wild when you are sure you've sorted your kit out for everything the British weather will throw at you.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE