week one of living in the woods pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
a freind and i have decided to do an experiment, to live in the woods for as long as possible off as many natural recources as we can.

over the last 9 days myself and laurence have been living in the woods in a home made shelter foraging what we can from the land and suplimenting that with cans of beans and dehydrated pasta.

we have been using catapults to take out pigeons and aim to go through next week using even less suppliment foods.

im visiting my parents at the moment, so it gives me the oppertunity to visit the forums.

these pictures where taken up to 4 days ago, the shelther now has been improved with an internal and external layer of canvas, aswell as extra walls added on.

our firepit now has a heat reflecter and its keeping the shelter pretty warm, the shelter is about 22deg with the fire going, hot enough to sleep without sleeping bags.

00camp001.jpg

00camp015.jpg

00camp013.jpg

00camp017.jpg

00camp018.jpg

00camp020.jpg

00camp021.jpg

00camp011.jpg

00camp010.jpg

00camp004.jpg

00camp005.jpg

00camp006.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So Josh, What have you found in your location that you have managed to use from Natures Larder plant wise??
Interesting experiment , will be keen to see how you do.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
You guys need to lay out a proper site, Even just marking out different areas with something as simple as string....Like a kitchen area, a wash up area, a sleeping area etc... It will make life a lot simpler also don't ever let your site get messy, laziness will only develop if you let yourselves get away with it, even small things like that pile of blue rope left on the floor, mark out a sheltered storage area for your gear.
Also don't prep food on site...your beginner's mistakes will go away with experience, then you won't be beginners :)

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
nowt wrong with prepping food on site in the uk your hardly likely to attract bears and the like are you? my camps tend to be prety messy because i'm not ocd about everything having to be in order (a place for everything and everything in its place) some people like that some don't but i don't think its for us to judge

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
In a long term camp (as this seems to be) you don't want to attract vermin.
It's not a matter of being OCD, more of having basic standards.
Keeping a tidy camp means you don't lose things, and you don't leave rotting refuse lying about which can cause disease.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cool, good effort chaps, I would echo the camp areas comments if your intending to be using the same camp for an extended stay, this can very dirty and pukey v quickly if your not on top of your hygiene personal\communal, but still good work chaps, be good to see how get on as the weather turns,

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
In a long term camp (as this seems to be) you don't want to attract vermin.
It's not a matter of being OCD, more of having basic standards.
Keeping a tidy camp means you don't lose things, and you don't leave rotting refuse lying about which can cause disease.
Indeed, plus i enjoy the whole keeping things organised bit.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good show lads. Things like camp arrangement will come with time and you will find what suits you best with experience.

Good luck and enjoy every minute.

Last edited:

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Young folks need encouragement not being jumped on and negative comments passed. We have all been there and done that and found out this stuff ourselves. After an extended stay the lads will find out themselves the benefits of good camp routine. If anyone wants to pass negative opinion or their own advice, perhaps the PM route might be better? In the meantime lets just praise a couple of youngsters who are doing no one else any harm but at least are endeavouring to learn themselves by actually getting out there and doing something. Good luck fellas, have a great time.

budgetbus

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2010
Nuneaton
Young folks need encouragement not being jumped on and negative comments passed. We have all been there and done that and found out this stuff ourselves. After an extended stay the lads will find out themselves the benefits of good camp routine. If anyone wants to pass negative opinion or their own advice, perhaps the PM route might be better? In the meantime lets just praise a couple of youngsters who are doing no one else any harm but at least are endeavouring to learn themselves by actually getting out there and doing something. Good luck fellas, have a great time.
:35::35::35::35::35::35::35:

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
in the meantime lets just praise a couple of youngsters who are doing no one else any harm but at least are endeavouring to learn themselves by actually getting out there and doing something. Good luck fellas, have a great time.

Well said .... I've been following their last few threads and while its obvious they are inexperienced they are learning by doing which is more than can be said for many of us. Help them out by offering advice rather than criticism.

To the two lads I would offer this advice for what its worth, rather than just putting up pics why not do some little articles about the reality rather than the romance of living in the woods,(hungry, wet, cold, bored etc). I think its fair to say we would all be interested in hearing the stories. Most of us are lucky to get out once a month so we can all learn from your exprerience.

Also ye have the opportunity to put a lot of things into practice that most of us do not have time for usually so maybe a totally natural shelter could be built and a fully functioning base camp with tables, chairs etc as somebody else has mentioned.

Anyway enjoy the time ye have thats most important ...
Andrew

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
wow very jealous you have this opportunity, you will learn an absolute shed load - what are you doing to keep clean/wash etc and have you dug a latrine?? Pigeon kebabs looked tasty.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Fair play for having a go guys and good luck to you
I must admit I was expecting a more natural shelter from the opening statements
How can anyone else learn if comments are sent via PM? Isn't the point of a forum so we can all learn too
Certainly the thread would only contain half the views if it only had possitive posts and would be very bias
IMO people shouldn't be scared of negative comments as long as they learn from them

Josh, A tidy camp is important, especially when there's loads of mud around etc
I also hope you have plenty of wood if you're planning on keeping your shelter that warm

Well done though

Mark

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Good for you and your friend for trying out this experiment,given time you will find out what is good practice or bad practice and it would also be interesting to see how long you can hold out for. Have you got some kind of journal so you can record your experiences, successes or failures?Always handy to keep one for the next time.Cheers.
Darren

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE